XA777ES vs Meridian 508.24 vs Gamut CD1 in redbook

Hi, I have Sony XA777ES. Has anyone compared the redbook performance of XA777 against the Meridian 508.24 or Gamut CD1? I am thinking to buy a used CDP to improve XA777 redbook performance. Thanks
128x128hpfish10

Showing 4 responses by robm321

I have modded xa777es. I wouldn't buy another CD player for redbook. The only way to better it would be to get an outboard DAC for redbook and still use it for SACD. You won't improve on the transport by much without a megabuck CD player. So, why not get an outboard DAC if money is burning a whole in your pocket or get it modded.

Rob
Frano,

It's hard to believe that a $550 DAC betters the 777. And that you thought the redbook performance was "poor". I would have accepted that something was better, but that it was poor and dissapointing sounds suspicious especially since it ranks up there with the top players (although it is not the top player) - then you followed it by a plug for a cheap DAC that supposedly sounds much better? I could be 100% wrong and you 100% right, but...

Rob
Frano,

I read your post wrong. I apologize for my acusation. Damn, that's my third apology today. I must be a prick LOL

Anyway, I bought (recently) a modded (modwright-superclock 2) XA777ES, and I am enjoying it. Without a doubt, I think the relatively inexpensive Mods can make huge gains in sound on these players.

Rob
It was modded before I bought it, but the paperwork that was provided showed a price of $277 for the superclock II upgrade which included black gate caps to replace the stock one.