XA 30.5 or mod S/500?

I've been watching the 'Gon fruitlessly for some time to get a Threshold S/500, "late Series II w/Optical Bias" (per Jon Soderberg, this is what he needs in order to do his modification to produce a Class A one-chassis SA/1 "clone" [my word, not his]). I'm beginning to wonder if a Pass XA 30.5 might not be equivalent or better sounding; I know they're easier to find. Unless I get lucky and find an already-Soderberg-ed S/500, the cost of amp and mod might even be approaching the price of a used XA 30.5(?). Either amp will be used with a FET 9 preamp. Speakers are currently Vandersteen 2CEs, but contemplating future purchase of 3A Sigs, or Maggie 3.6s, and a REL sub. Anyone heard SA/1s AND heard XA 30.5? Thanks.
Ag insider logo xs@2xcippoliner

Showing 2 responses by thesoundhouse

I have a XA30.5 and a X350.5 and have had two Jon Soderberg moded Threshold amps through out the years. Sonically speaking the Moded Thresholds sound very very good however the PASS sounds significantly better. I can tell you will need more power to drive those Magnepans 3.6 than a XA30.5. My advise is you should buy a used X250.5 or X350.5 if you can. They may not be 100% Class A but they will blow the doors off the Moded Thresholds. I had a pair of heavily moded SA/1 mono blocks with the Optical Biasing and balanced and a new right out of the box X250.5 not broken in killed the The Threshold Mono Blocks and by a huge margin.
The X.5 amps do the same thing in stand by mode. The stand by mode on all pass amps keep the caps charged and the driver input board on. When fully engaged it they simply turn on the output transistors.