X250.5 compared to Naim Nait5i

Hi guys,

I am new to higher end audio. At present I have a Naim Nait 5i, Cambridge Azur 840 c (CD player) and Dali Ikon 7 speakers. Will running a Pass X 250x along with a Parasound JC2 with these speakers make a big difference to the sound?
I also plan to get a pair of Magnepan 1.6s and I am guessing those with the above equipment would be a big improvement.......what do you think?

I have nothing to compare all this with since my last system cost a total of about $500 - Cambridge Soundworks...(I know) but I am amazed with the sound I have now, however, the high notes on the Ikon 7s tend to be irritating and shrill, almost like having a referee blow his whistle in my ear (is this what you guys mean when you say the highs are a bit "forward"?). I have tried laying carpet in front of the speakers (I have hard floors) and it helps a bit. My dealer told me to hang a piece of tissue over the tweeter but I think there has to be a better fix than that.
Any info regarding the above would be greatly appreciated.
Fantastic site and forum by the way.
Thanks a lot
thomastrouble

Showing 4 responses by thomastrouble

Thanks for the replies so far guys. To the guy (Vandermeulen) who mentioned sleeping pills - on the smaller system I have now (Naim, Dali Ikon 7s etc) I already can hardly make it to bed before 4am!

I have the Maggies coming Monday, the Pass later in the week with some better cables and ICs, one concern I have is will the Parasound JC2 pre-amp be a good match for the Pass Labs?
Thanks Vandermeulen. I will be using Kimber 8TC speaker cable and Wire World interconnects (XLR).
What has the bigger effect on the music - the preamp or the amp, assuming the amp is matched well for the speakers?
To DBarger - Looks like your comment that re. moving up to separates will make me appreciate the Naim Nait5i seems to be right on target.
I wanted to hook the Pass X250.5 up to the Maggie 1.6s today but couldn't as I need adapters for them so my cables will fit. I previously had been using the Nait with a pair of Dali Ikon 7s, then until the Pass arrived I was running the Maggies off the Nait - surprisingly good for 50watts!
Anyway, I hooked the Pass up with a Parasound Jc2 through the Ikons and to be honest I think the Nait sounds almost,if not, as good! I am sure I will notice a great difference when this gear is running the Maggies on Monday, but in this set-up the amp and pre-amp don't really stand out against the Nait.....would you or anybody else agree on this. or am I missing something?

One possibility is, I have been listening to the Maggies non-stop for a week or two and might be getting spoiled when switching back to the Dalis.
Thanks guys. Getting it now - I have had the Maggies hooked up with the bigger gear. Yes, the Nait and the Dali's sound very detailed and as complete novice I was impressed with this and still am. However, with the Maggies running off the Pass Labs 250.5 and Parasound JC2 I have a great sound which I would call more "realistic" if I had to label it, still, the Nait and Dalis at that price do sound great and I think they are a good first step. I know I will probably never be completely happy, especially when I read all the opinions here and there and I will always want to experiment and explore.....I guess I am straying from my first intention - to buy a nice sounding system, to it becoming more of a hobby - an added bonus as far as I am concerned!