Wyred4S or Belles for Usher Be718?

Has anyone out there made the comparison between the Class D Wyred amps and that of the Belles or even the Odyssey Stratos Extreme monoblocks?

These 3 amps are on my short list to drive my inefficient speakers (sound best with 200watts or more). My budget is 2k used or may stretch to 2.5K for something exceptional.

What are the advantages of class a/b vs a superb sounding class d?

Thanks!!
indiesound

Showing 1 response by bezimienny

Hello. I've owned a W4S ST1000 since mid 2008 - with Usher Be-718s, and an ARC SP9MkIII. Sounds great. Previously ran tubes - Jadis Orchestra Reference, and prior to that ARC power amps + the pre. Frankly found the W4S smoother, sweeter, and far more detailed - the complete lack of any grain is amazing. I've a pair of Wilson CUBS in storage, and ran the amp with these for a short time - definitely tames the highs, as per tubes - these speakers are quite tiring with SS generally. Actually recently sold the Jadis, despite sentimental attachment, as I simply prefer the sound of the W4S with either set of speaker.

The current system is especially good for classical music - old recordings have extra detail, while flaws, such as inherent harshness in the transfer, are diminished.

I know this isn't a direct answer to your thread, but I can't imagine you'd be grossly disappointed by the W4S.

Cheers,Robert.