Wyred 4 Sound STI-1000 - upgrades/tweaks

For those who are curious of this amp

(or own it and use it as is.)

I am talking of the integrated STI amp, from Wyred 4 Sound.

The amp is good as is, but give it about 150 hours to settle. It is a little bright but smoothen out.
Starting this thread, is not about the STI as is.
It's a finger point about what it can achieve with some small upgrades.

* PS Audio - critical link fuses
* PS Audio - Perfectwave AC-12

It might be regarded as silly to talk of fuses!?

But, fact is, if you buy the critical link fuses from PS Audio, things happen. The inner detail and air improves quite a bit. The amp is fast and transparent as is. But with the 2 fuses installed, you will clearly notice the inner detail, focus and air improves.

Listening, suggest it is more like seeing through a clean window.

It is clearly more evident at recordings, which is about ambience and reverb.

I also tried a few powerchords, both before and after the fuse upgrade. After the fuse upgrade, gains of PC's improve even more.

I tried; Signalcable magical ref, JPC 2.5, JPS (don't know it's model name), Entreq Basic and PS Audio Perfectwave AC-12.

In short, a larger diameter cable, will give more impact and weight.

I have to admit, the best all over PC (in this group) was and is PS Audio Perfectwave AC-12.

In conjunction with the fuses mentioned, the amp is climbing high.

It has bettered at all areas. The Perfectwave AC-12 sounds most linear with this amp.

2 of the PC's proved slight change in linearlity - not good.

The top is very detailed and offers air and delicate smootness,

microdetail and focus is very good. The midrange has now more weight and richness no swollen or blurr.

Bass offers greater impacting, i firmer punch and more nuance.

Speed and focus is great.

I sense no grain or harshness as could be before the first 100 hours.

I often just listen, as often, i can't help listening critcal.

The tiny events in the background has to be in focus, as is my craving for impact, punch and dynamical contrast.

I find it all here, i also find a relaxed way of delivering with no harsh transients or pronouncing sticking out.

I'd like to point out, this is not saying the amp is a sleeper!

It's of control and focus with complex multilayered music. It is relaxed in terms of control and offers as i remember, somewhat similarities of my former Krell units (cx series). Not as dark, and smoother.

I would recommend, if buying this amp, let the budget find room for the PS Audio fuses and the Perfectwave AC-12.

So much is the amp improving and i would say they are so right for each other.

I firmly believe, after the first most critical 150 hours and with the "upgrades" in place, the amp has what most would be happy with.
Then you'll realize the full size of this combo, as the last veil uncurtains.

This amp retail for $2500 + the PS Audio fuses and PC. Is close to $1000. I was about to check Krell FBI closer.

But i can say in all honesty, looking in perspective, i am happy with this and it is a bargain.

Would i buy this amp from scrach new, again, i would have bought the critical link fuses and perfectwave ac-12 directly.
There is no way around that - So good it is!!!

Don't forget to use a wristband so that you'll induce no static when changing fuses.

Wyred 4 Sound are very nice and will guide you.

They also inform you, what fuses you need.

It is not that difficult, anyone can do it.

I am sorry i can't explain any better, but again, i think many would more than, like the combo.
128x128inpieces

Showing 1 response by grodri02

I have the STI-1000 amp and will like to replace the fuse with the SR red fuse but cant find the fuse on the amp. How can I have access to the fuse? I see in the back it says circuit breaker but dont know if that is where the fuse is. I dont want to break anything....

Thanks