wow, a newbie power cord convert

When I got my Cary sli80 integrated last month, I just plugged my old power cord into it- the one that came with my cheap s.s. previous amp. I noticed that it used bigger wire, so I figured it would be better. Then a couple days ago I decided to try the new stock Cary cord. I put it in, and didn't really think about it. Yesterday I moved my speakers around a few inches here & there over the course of the day, and did some serious listening. I was amazed at the difference I was hearing. I had forgotten about the cord switch. I put the speakers back in their original spots, and still was hearing way more detail, and more solid placement of instruments. It was then I remembered the new cord, I guess it had been breaking in over a day & a half, (about 15-20 hrs of music). Anyway, I was a skeptic, and now I'm a believer. All this with just a stock cord from a good amp company. Makes me wonder if I can get even more good results if I spend a few more bucks...
jay_carlson

Showing 1 response by rch102a97

Yes, you have discovered the magic of power cords. Does not seem possible given the cheap solid copper wire in the wall. I have recently evaluated several power cords, Electraglide, Harmonic Tech, Cardas, NBS, and Pure Note. They all sound different, some are better in the highs or stronger in the bass. I settled on the Pure Note silver cord for several reaons: It sounded best overall, the connectors were better than the others, quality is very high with the braided metal jacket. It was also fairly priced at $800, 2.0m.