Would you upgrade to 3D for Blurays like Pac Rim?

Saw Pacific Rim at the movie theater in IMAX 3D a month or two ago and, though I mostly snickered at the film, which felt more to me like a modernistic version of old throwback Giant Robot, Godzilla and the Gargantuan films from the 60's, mated with the latest tech used to make Transformers and Battle Ship. Mostly, it was kinda silly, but fun 3D visuals and sound, for sure. It was WOW factor at first, but then just alright after the film was all said and done -descent entertainment.
I also must admit that I've not really been so interested in upgrading to 3D in my projection system at home, and have been quite satisfied with my JVC 2D system on a large screen, to date. BUT!,..I also admit that I have recently been "teased" into entertaining the idea of upgrading (?) my system to doing 3D, particularly to show off what a large screen 3D projection system can do, and simply enjoy what's capable from some films that ONLY are worth a watch, merely because of the large screen 3D experience and big sound! One of these, yes even as silly as it may be, are the likes of Pacific Rim, played back as it was in the cinemas. -Big sound, big 3D WOW image, for that extra fun factor from my system!
Bottom line, as I walk through Best Buy, the more I look at BluRay films that have been released in 3D lately -Pac Rim, Underworld Awakenings, Abe Lincoln Vampire Killer, Tron Legacy, and ponder the likes of Oblivion and Gravity (to be released), I must admit, it's hard to consider buying standard 2D BluRay, when the likely superior overall viewing experience is to be had with the typically more expensive 3D bluRay purchase! So, I'm considering upgrading a bit sooner, just to be able to add these goodies to my collection.
Anyone else here feel more compelled lately, due to more and more of these 3D flicks coming down the pike, to make a move to 3D in your system? Curious if others feel the same these days?
avgoround

Showing 1 response by mallen123

The best 2d Large screen LED sets basically come with 3d already. I own full array local dimming led sets from Sony and sharp elite both of which have active 3 d.

Tougher decision if you have top end blue ray projector or tv set before 3 d was available.

In TVs however, the best 2k LED sets have 3d active already built in.

Most new titles are coming out in 3d, and buying thru amazon at 24 - 30$ is worth it for the 3d experimence at home.

The overall question is further complicated by 4k and OLED now hitting the market but that content will be extremely limited for several years.