Would like some help with what to buy? for 4-5k$

I currently have an onkyo tx-ds575x and some JBL surround sound speakers.. they are the size of bose speakers? and have a JLB 8? sub?

I have decided that I would like more? I cant afford 10-100k$ even though it would be nice? like I stated before, I can afford about 4-5k at the moment, I don?t really have a problem buying used stuff, as my buddies told me great things about this site, and to forget ebay and come strait here.. so that is what I am doing?

My buddies recommended a few brands to me? so ill put them out, and if any of you guys have any other brands that you know of or think I should look in to I would greatly appreciate it..

Also, I would ?like? to get a pre amp, and an amp, but I do not know if with my budget I can afford to do that? The 4-5k would have to cover speakers, receiver/processor and amp.. pretty much all the audio stuff..

I was told that the Ymaha RXV3300 was a good receiver, and also that oknyo integra line as well

Could I get those units, or something else, I read that one guy had a B&K on the forum? but I don?t know anything at all about B&K at the moment?

For speakers, I was told to look at.. Klipsch,NHT, Paradigm or Definitive Technology..

However for the speakers, I don?t know what specific models to look at?

Also, I wont be able to spend all of the money at one time, kind of buy as I go type of deal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I hope I have made my questions clear..

Thanks guys!
dakkon

Showing 1 response by phoenix469

Personnally, I would avoid Klipsch and Yamaha....UNLESS...thats the kind of stuff you're into. Yamaha packs a lot of features into their receivers, like DSP. Digital Signal Processing is Yamaha's claim to fame. It lets the receiver emulate certain musical venues eg: COncert Hall, Large Theater, Small Theater, Auditorium, Stadium etc... Unless this is something you plan on using often, it ends up being a waste of money. I'm a purist, so I don't like sending all that processing through my movies/Music. However, if you like that kind of thing, Yamaha does it the best. Klipsch Speakers all have a distinctive sound to them, because Klipsch always uses horns in their speakers. This gives them incredible dynamics, but it does make them sound a little brassy. However if you like the sound of horns...Klipsch does them best. B&K makes very good equipment. I used to own a processor and amp from them. The B&K REF 50 is a great processor. B&K sounds very clean and unauthoritative. Of course that may have been cuz I had them hooked up to cheaper speakers. But the do sound much like good high-end equipment. PLus B&K offers Upgrades to their processors, which you have to send it back to the factory for, but, oh well. Receiver wise, I would go with Denon or Onkyo Integra. Speakers are a very personal choice, cuz you have to like how they sound. I would reccomend the B&W CM series or 600 series, Def Tech is a good choice if you like Bipolar speakers. If you like bi-polar you might LOVE Omnipolar made by Mirage. Dynaudio makes some Affordable speakers that sound great, as does Monitor Audio. Both hit hard and have great clarity. Now Thats all I can think of right now off the top of my head