Would a Technics SL-1200 MK2 be an upgrade from a Denon DP-31L?

Hi all,

just wondering if this Technics turntable is superior to my current Denon for home audio use? The Denon is my first and only turntable, and it sounds great so I have no complaints, but I wasn't sure if the Technics would be even better. Especially considering the Technics is a DJ TT, which I don't have a clue if that makes a difference for my usage in a home audio setting.
Price isn't a factor because I'll only pick it up if I can work out some kind of trade for it (although the asking price is $400 in good working order with a new self grounding RCA board installed)

any my advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
hockey4496

Showing 6 responses by timlub

Well,I have got 2 cents worth. I've used and modded Technics 1200's. It does look like a DJ table, but dead stock, I prefer it over most entry level tables.  The audio Technica mentioned, needs the phono pre removed at a minimum and really could use a ton of damping before it will get in the league of a stock sl1200. However Audio Technica does have an SL1240. As long as you remove the phono preamp, it competes nicely.  Then lastly, in the last month or so, I have purchased 3 vintage fixer uppers, that were all 3 inexpensive and when I'm finished, each will be quite good.... a Technics SL25 with an Audio Technica ATP-12T arm, a Miida turntable that was made by Denon, it is a nice table with fully adjustable arm and a Sony PS-X60 which has a very nice adjustable on the fly tone arm.  I have no doubt that if you are patient, you'll come across a steal out there.  Not a real recommendation on which way to go, but here are some alternatives to think about. I hope this helps, Tim
Thanks raymonda, that's all reasonable. I have owned 2 different KD600's with a Linn arm and an AT arm. It was nice sounding

Hi raymonda, I'm under the impression that hockey4496 is on a budget. What would you buy at $400 that significantly beats it. I agree that the arm in the 1200 is the weak link, but replace the arm cable, heat shrink the tube and add a decent medium compliance cartridge and it's hard to beat on a budget... By the way, the Technics that I snagged was a SP25, not an SL25. Sorry for the confusion.  
Hi hockey4496,
    Not sure that I'll be a help here... I've seen raul chime in saying that your table is already better than a Technics 1200.  I have no direct experience with your model.  I have had A DP59 and a DP60L at my home for a few weeks each while I worked on them,  one for a friend the other, my brother....I have never compared either to a Technics. The 59 was gorgeous, but being sonically better than the Technics,  I can't say that this is clear to me. The DP60L was clearly a nicer table than the 1200 when I was finished... it had interchangeable arm tubes for cartridge matching. I had added damping all over that table as strategically that I could to kill resonances, which was tough, it had quite a bit of electronics inside.  As far as platter mass/weight.... I would add weight without worrying much.  I'm in the U.S. So I think in ounces and pounds over grams, but 361 grams is only about 3/4 of a pound, that should cause no issues at all.  Start up could be ever so slightly slower, but I doubt you'd notice... I personally would take some butyl tape and layer it thinly on the bottom of the platter also.  It helps kill resonances from the motor projecting through the platter.
Hi hockey4496,  sorry for the confusion,  no, not on top, on the underside and you'll need to make sure that you have clearance for your platter to spin.  You don't want the butyl to rub on anything and affect the speed of your platter by rubbing.