Would a Technics SL-1200 MK2 be an upgrade from a Denon DP-31L?

Hi all,

just wondering if this Technics turntable is superior to my current Denon for home audio use? The Denon is my first and only turntable, and it sounds great so I have no complaints, but I wasn't sure if the Technics would be even better. Especially considering the Technics is a DJ TT, which I don't have a clue if that makes a difference for my usage in a home audio setting.
Price isn't a factor because I'll only pick it up if I can work out some kind of trade for it (although the asking price is $400 in good working order with a new self grounding RCA board installed)

any my advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
hockey4496

Showing 4 responses by raymonda

The Sony psx 60 is the best, imo. 

Comparing the new 1200 to the old is not close. 

It is like comparing an old, watered down 4 cylinder, low horse powered Mustang to a new high horse power muscle car Mustang of today. Well, maybe not that bad.....but I think you get my drift.

I agree that an sp 10 or 15 is a better choice. Yes, you'll need to get an arm for them but the arm on on the 1200 is compromised and for best performance will need to be replaced. Meaning your better off just doing it right in the first place.

I personally wouldn't buy a 1200, however, if I got him down to 150 to 200 I would play with it, mod it and have fun with it.
Yes, I meant sp not sl....sorry.

I would probably go with a used Rega 3 and gradually upgrade it over time. One can be bought for around 300, or so. 

Upgrading the pulley, spindle, platter and then plinth is a fun project and something that can be done gradually and not cost a whole lot.

I would look at it as an investment in the arm.

That's a different type of table, I know but one which will perform well out of the box.

Secondly, if direct drive is a must a kenwood kd500 with an sme 309 can be had for around 500 if you search.

Not that the 1200 is a bad choice...it is good. But it would not be my first.

Btw, I always thought that the motor in the 1200 mkii was the same as in the sp25. And, yes, I'd buy a sp25 with a arm for 500 before I would buy a 1200mkii.

Oops, i meant 3009. My bad........thanks for making me look foolish! ;?) I wish it were a 309!!!!!!!!! Sorry for the confusion.
(A  Kenwood KD 500 with  SME 309 for $ 500 ?  You will never find one near that price!)

That is not entirely true. According to ebay sale history, The last 6-7 500's that sold on ebay went between 127 and 250, sans arm, with most below 175. Over the past 4 years or so, I have found a few with a 309 on it for in and round $500. They do not last long and get grabbed up quickly, but they are there.

I've often thought of pulling the trigger for one.