Would a Technics SL-1200 MK2 be an upgrade from a Denon DP-31L?

Hi all,

just wondering if this Technics turntable is superior to my current Denon for home audio use? The Denon is my first and only turntable, and it sounds great so I have no complaints, but I wasn't sure if the Technics would be even better. Especially considering the Technics is a DJ TT, which I don't have a clue if that makes a difference for my usage in a home audio setting.
Price isn't a factor because I'll only pick it up if I can work out some kind of trade for it (although the asking price is $400 in good working order with a new self grounding RCA board installed)

any my advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
hockey4496

Showing 3 responses by paraneer

I would take a 27 lb. SL-1200MKII over a 13 lb. Denon DP-31L any day.  Especially with the aftermarket mods that are available such as those from KAB Acoustics, an SL-1200MKII can compete with decks costing much more.

There is a reason why the new SL-1200GAE is selling for $4000!  It is a direct descendant of the SL-1200MKII.

I agree with Matt. Be careful with this one. Decent SL-1200MKII’s go for around $600 used on my local CL and are not beat up like this one. And have dustcovers too. Apply your $400 toward a good one.  If you do like this one, offer considerably less than the asking price.  The cartridge that it comes with is only $40 new.

And demand an audition. Make sure the tonearm bearings allow for free travel, up and down and left to right. Make sure the cueing is slow and smooth. Finally make sure the TT is holding proper speed. Sometimes, despite all these cursory checks, you may still have to open it up and do some maintenance and repairs. At least a good deoxidizing if the seller hasn’t done it already. If you are comfortable doing the work yourself, go for it. There are great bargains to be found with vintage. If you have to take it to a shop, you have exceeded the cost of a new TT.  Good luck!

Thanks all for the suggestions, very helpful info. Tim is correct though, I am beyond a being on a tight budget, and i likely can only get a turntable if the seller is willing to work out a trade for it,

Thanks for explaining Hockey and understood.  Most of us have been in this position at one time in our lives - I know I certainly have.  That's when I honed my skills at repairing used gear. 

The above being said, if you can make a trade for the SL-1200MKII by offering your Denon, I say go for it.  Even if the Technics is a little roached as it appears to be in the link, a little knowhow, common sense and work on your part can get it functioning like new. It should clean up well too.  Eventually you may even find a used dustcover or be able to spring for a new one.  Remember, this is one of the best selling TT's of all time and millions were sold.  So parts are widely available. 

I hope your able to make to the trade.