Worth fixing?

I have a Rotel 951 CD player paired with an Arcam alpha7 amp and Paradigm speakers. One speaker cuts in and out occasionally. (Which doesn’t happen with the turntable). Swapped it with an Onkyo CD player and problem solved so it’s clearly the CD player issue.  But it has some sentimental value. Ideas about what the problem might be and is it fixable by me.  Or should I junk it. 

qialah

Simply put, this was a budget unit from new and it’s a poor idea to invest more money in it ,

The FMV of the unit in working order is a nominal amount that faces expensive pro  tech time costs at prevailing rates. Add in the further cost of a replacement laser unit (…if you can even still source another one ,,,) and you under water cost-wise from the get-go.

MY TAKE

Accept that it has hit its end of useful life and the expected repair costs kinda kills a reason to plan any repairs,  so just move on. You can easily find a better unit for the expected amount you will face to attempt repairs.

I`ve been there, and done that.

Agree with prior post. Unless its over a couple of grand, brand new, not worth fixing.

Look at current models from Rotel, Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha.

I had a nice basement system including a Classe Tuner 1 and a Classe CA 100 amp.

When the tuner failed, I left it with the repair shop and after a month they said it needed a part that had become unavailable. I looked up the part and it had been made in Europe and out of production for a while. So I bought another Classe Tuner 1 used.

Some years later, the CA 100 amp lost a channel. After three months, my repair shop said Classe had changed ownership and no longer supported repair of pre-acquisition products. So I replaced it with a used working unit.

I eventually gave the system to a son in college. When he moved and threw it all away, I didn’t feel too bad.

Of course, I never bought another Classe product.