Words From the Wise

Hello fellow Audiophiles and Audio Enthousiast. I've been in the game for a little over 4 months now and I've learned tonnes of stuff along the way thanks to some very knowledgeable people on this website and in my local community (but mostly on this website).

I'll get right to the point.

Whether you are new to the game or a veteran I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the top 5 things you would tell a fellow Audiophile to better his/her enjoyment of this wonderful hobby. Please use point form or short paragraphs
buckingham
1) Proper speaker placement supplemented by acoustic room treatments patiently and accurately applied is the single most important component in your system. Period. More than which speakers, which source components , or what amp/ pre-amp combination.
2) Really clean, powerful available power into your system is usually overlooked until most people have some serious bucks into most of the other "stuff". This is a mistake. Provide dedicated power if possible, or at least seriously conditioned/cleaned up electricity available for your equipment. The difference is startling.
3) Tubes just sound more natural than solid state and should be in either your pre-amp or power amp (preferably both), or in a nice tubed integrated [at least] (if that's your path at the time) to really appreciate how uncanny a home system can sound.
4) "Reasonably good" speakers and "reasonably good" signal sources will sound absolutely outstanding (way better than you would have ever believed possible) if you make sure you've done #1,#2,#3 above first... ("Really good or better" speakers/signal sources will absolutely blow you away if.... you you've done #1,#2,#3 above first...).
5) Approach the hobby with more respect than you would an addiction ("Upgrade-itis") where you'll find yourself saving up again and again for your next purchase. This I know only too well. Try to enjoy each step of the way and linger there as long as you can.
(Final comment) Sitting in the listening chair late at night...when all the synergy of your system aligns like the planets in the sky... is like no other connection you'll ever know... it's called "Bliss".
If it sounds too good to be true, It's because you spent $$$$$
on a bunch of Tefon caps. God bless Tefon.
Read, ask, listen, then read some more.
Take your time auditioning; bring your own material along.
Audition alone; also means don't let the salesperson chatter through the demo.
Better to buy quality used equipment than to compromise on new.
Buy the best you can afford; you will be surprised how long you will be satisfied with the "right" component.
Pay attention to the music.
If it feels right rather than sounds perfect you've got it.
Only listen to the components or your friends advice if you feel somethings not where you want it.
Move your speakers, placement is king.
If you're just starting try and get a single medium (cd, records, dig, tape, tuner etc.) sounding good to you before adding the rest in. It helps to focus the money on a decent end to end path first
Seek therapy, once in you're in for life