Woodsong Garrard 301, Artisan Fidelity 301, Shindo 301, SME 301, or etc.?

I feel fortunate to own a beautiful Woodsong 301. Chris Harban is great to work with and has an incredible amount of knowledge. I believe he is among a handful of the best restorers. Artisan Fidelity seems to also do a great job and may even surpass Woodsong. And there are others in the cottage industry doing restorations.
Then there is the venerable Shindo version and, now, SME bought the original Garrard name and design and has come out with version using mostly original parts but saying that they aim to manufacture new. But the general view says that the SME one doesn’t compare to the great restorers. Has anyone bought any of these or others?
mglik

Showing 2 responses by pcosta

I think with your question we must distinguish  the differences between "restorers" and one who modifies to potentially make better.  Do all those fall into the same category?
Woodsong appears to offer plinths and I don't know if he does anything to the 301 like new platter and bearing.  We know Artisan Fidelity mods the 301 to a highly expensive level,  then we have to ask is it still a 301?
Same for Shindo.
SME seems to literally restore to origina and plop it into their own plinth and use their own arms,  no choices?

Question now is which do you want.

No Garrard's for me, but I certainly recognize the appeal.  I have a few friends that own different versions of the 301,  Some with mild mods some extreme, such as CTC chassis, brass platter and big bearing, in a custom plinth with motor controller.  Then another friend with a mild modded Shindo inspired 301 grease bearing with a CTC aluminium oversized platter with a Ortofon RF 297 and Ortofon SPU Wood A body cart.  Another friend has a stock oil bearing 301 in a Dobbins plinth with a Reed arm,  all are very enjoyable to listen to.
I lived with a Thorens 124 with a SME 3012R and Ortofon SPU 90 for several months,  it was enjoyable and makes you for the most part forget about being and audiophile and just listen to the music,  but I did hear it's colorations.  Still fun stuff.
I have the big boy EMT.  Is it audiophile approved?  Sure is for me