Wondering...

I prefer LPs and most likely will continue to be an enjoyer of that format however, been streaming a lot with a modest setup. Elac, Discovery w/Roon (Basic) to a Line Magnetic, LM502ca tube/SS switchable DAC and connected with an Aural Symphonics, Digital Statement BNC to Coax cable. Ethernet connection is via two Airport Extremes communicating 15' apart. No noisy router in the room & I use good CAT 8 Ethernet cables on both ends. This is pretty must a $3K setup at retail. So what do I need to spend to improve this rig. To me, it's pretty GD good right now but maybe someone uses a similar setup and what was spent on improving the experience. Obviously sky's the limit on these pieces but say $5K budget? Will adding an S-Booster make a difference. Cable is pretty great and DAC too. Not a lot of Elac users but I find it exceptional. I have an Auralic, Mini too and prefer the Elac with lifelike subscription to a basic Roon package. Seem to both sound the same to me... thoughts?

128x128bgross

Showing 2 responses by deadhead1000

@jasonbourne52 

Nope. I have not spent tens of thousands, but I can easily hear the difference between DACs, AMPs, Headphones, Cartridges, CD players and streamers (oh wait, those last two are sources just like cartridges!). I do have a harder time telling between interconnects unless there is a big difference (build-wise, not just money wise). But do a blind test between similarly priced McIntosh and a Luxman/Pass/Accuphase amp. I would bet you could tell them apart 100% of the time. I'd dare you to tell me you couldn't tell them apart. I know you could. Now I'm not talking which is better sounding, just that they will sound totally different.

The first time I realized not all electrics sound the same happened to me when back in the 1990's when I wanted to buy my first high end CD player. I had a Nak tape deck and figured their CD players would be good too - besides it's all 1's and 0's. Salesman had me listen to a Rotel and the difference was amazing. I kept flipping between them as I couldn't believe it. The Rotel sounded like music and the Nak sounded like any cheap CD player. They were similarly priced also. So yeah, I have to politely disagree with your assumption that even beyond a basic level all electrics sound the same.