Wolcott Presence 220M system compatiblity?

I am considering the big change from solid state to tube amplification. I do have some concern as my speakers, Vienna Acoustics Mahlers, require an amp with much control in the bass. I am currently running Bryston 7BST mono's and bass control is obviously not an issue. From the reviews I have read the Wolcott may be my answer. The Mahler is rated at 90db sensitivity with an average impedance of 6 ohms. It does go below 3 ohms in the lower regions. I would like input from others as to the compatibilty of the Wolcott with my speakers. I would also be interested if anyone knows of a more appropriate amp than the Wolcott.

The rest of my system:

Hovland HP100 w/MC
Sonic Frontiers SFT1/SFD2MK11 Digital
VPI HW19IV / Kusma stogi reference/ Grado Statement
Acoustic Zen sliver reference interconnects
Wireworld gold eclipse111 speaker cable
128x128dmailer

Showing 1 response by vlugt0027e4a

i think the only way to find out is to try it out. I had my Mahlers driven by a BAT VK60 and it kept blowing fuses because it could not deliver the current needed when low frequencies and high volumes were needed, due to the fact that at certain low frequencies the impedance went down below 3 Ohms.

I have since changed the amp to a BAT VK500 solid state and now everything is fine.

If you want the "warmth" of tube sound, a tube preamp would be a better way to go.