With $20,000 in your hand, what speaker would you

I've recently gone into retirement. I am a 52-year-old diehard audiophile. I've had just about every statement level speaker the American market has offered over the last 10 to 15 years. The speaker I have found the most satisfying overall is my presently owned modified pair of Maggie 3.6R. I've also had their 20s and started with the Mg 3A. for my second favorite speaker I would have to pick the Avalon radian HC, and not the Eidolon( I had problems with the ceramic midrange distorting with dynamic vocals and the base was not perfect). I had dozens and dozens of conventional and electrostatic speakers so many I could bore you with the list. So let's just say I've been around the block a few times.

Let's assume that I made no mistakes meeting the speakers with the proper equipment, power conditioning and acoustical environment treatment. I have been mostly a tube person but I switched over to the new passlabs equipment because I found that I am
the equivalent sound or better than my reference tube amplifiers, without the heartbreaking experience of blowing up and $2000 tube replacements.(As I said I am retired now, I can't afford the maintenance fees anymore.

What I'm asking of my fellow audiophiles that have been listening with reference great audio systems is that they e-mail me back and give me their opinion on what conventional loudspeaker they would own if they had say $20,000 or so to spend(20,000 retail). Semi-full range down to say 35 Hz or so.

I'm going to keep the Maggies but, they don't feel the need when it comes to wanting a more compact/dynamic speaker that I could also drive with my Belcanto SET. Although, they don't need to be ultra efficient.

I would really appreciate anybody's input, I would find all of your input invaluable in making my decision.

by the way what do you all think of the Grand Veena 3A speaker. Is it better than anything for under $20-$30,000?

Thank you very much for all of your help,

Regards,
Andrew

thanks again,
Andy

PS I am still keeping the Maggies.
acollen

Showing 4 responses by melbguy1

I own Magico S5's which are remarkably well balanced and coherent, fast and resolving & are great "all rounders". Engineering as expected is excellent. The Pass XA.8 and XS series amps are a great match & you can find S5's in premium gloss finish coming up on the 'Gon as low as $18k now. My 2 cents.
I just put my Magico S5's in Titanium grey up for sale for $18k if anyone's interested. They have low hours & are not yet broken in.
@Ebm, I agree the S3's and S5's are coming up at very good prices in near new/mint condition. Also referring back to the above post about line source speakers, I would point out that development of point source speakers hasn't stood still over the last 25 years. Magico is a Company at the top of their game who have been constantly developing their drivers, cabinets, crossovers and know how for over a decade. With the technology Magico employ such as Carbon Nano-tube cones and large extruded aluminium cabinets & their manufacturing capacity and quality control, design talent and quality trump speaker type/layout.
It is very kind of forum members to continue to offer the OP suggestions 6 years after he posted his question :p