Wilson WITT (v1) resistors

Hi, I'm new here.

This topic has been adressed many times before, and I've read a lot about it. Still I have some questions, and the answeres would be quite essential to me. I can't find a really proper thread on this forum, so here's a fresh one.

The midrange resistor in one of my WITTs is blown. To prevent another blow, I'd like to replace all resistors. Also I'd like to know how the resistors are wired, and why. And I'd like to know why I blew the resistor.

Wilson Audio wouldn't explain how and why their resistors are wired, but they named three scenarios that could blow their resistor: overdrive (too loud), clipping amp, and using compressed audio files or streaming.

Eliminating overdrive, and bad terminal connection (not mentioned by Wilson), I think clipping or MP3/streaming couldn't hurt a resistor.

A speaker can be damaged by a clipping amp, but a resistor? And streaming or compressed audio: how could that damage anything at all (besides sound quality)?

Wouldn't any resistor wired to a speaker, series or parallel, draw power? Wouldn't an amplifier have to compensate by delivering more power?

My midrange speaker stopped working so the blown resistor may be wired in series to act as a fuse to protect the speaker. The values of 7.9Ω(treble), 6.3Ω(mid), and 15Ω(bass) confuse me though. Wouldn't this result in an amplifier detecting unusually high speaker impedance?

I've read that the fourth resistor (4.2Ω), is for "pahes". This concept is quite new to me. I barely know about phase shift caused by euqualizers. How much power would flow through this "phase" resistor?

I've read about several speaker brands and models that had blown resistors that were actually rated too low, and owners that DIY replaced the speaker manufacturers' choice with different brand/type resistors.

I couldn't find high-power (400w?) bassrange alternatives to replace the Caddocks used by Wilson though, apart from combining A LOT of resistors.

Any reaction on this forum is very welcome. Maybe some day I can be of help on another topic.

- Mike -

omemijk

Showing 1 response by polk432