Wilson Speakers & Reviewers

Gents;

I've been reading a lot of reviewer system lists over the years.

Why do a lot of them end up with a Wilson Speaker

They do not appear to be the most resolving.........
Or is it Peer pressure ? Or magic ?

opinions?

jeff

frozentundra
I bought a set of Maxx II's from my dealer, that were demos. Couldn't afford them otherwise. I have a couple of Krell EV 600's pushing them. I've had them around 6 years and have loved every minute. They're not hard to set up. You want them towed in, so you can just barely see the inner sides. They have bass that will kick your butt and clear sounding mids and highs. Their crossovers are their weak link, if you're not careful. You have to remember the correct process of turning on and off, your preamps etc, or you may blow them. I love mine and have no plans to replace them. I had some Martin Logan Monoliths before. They too were good, but with the Wilsons, you get that forward driving sound that only a conventional driver can provide. Great imaging and soundstage. 
@jonnie22 - I"m not aware of caring what 'audio writers' like or dislike in speakers.  I base my purchases on what I like, not what they like. 
I was never that taken with the WP systems, certainly never enough to be tempted to buy a pair, and remained happy with my large Vandersteens for many years despite the complexities of separate bass crossover, multiamping and wiring.  Then I heard a pair of Grand Slamms well set up and had an 'aha' moment that I kept in mind for some years before buying a pair of Maxx 2s like handymann.

Unlike him, although I have lots of beefy power amps on hand (Classe, Roland etc.) I have been powering mine with tubes (CJ Premier 11a) and find it to be an excellent match (although I do switch in the Roland for AV use).

I also agree that given that a significant part of the purchase price ow Wilsons is, like Montblancs and Rolex, attributable to advertising bling, buying used is the best way to go.
keithahughes: Ken Kessler, writer for HiFi News, had the same for many years. And now uses stacked LS3/5A’s and it was a "revolutionary" advance for him.

It’s not just reviewers -go to any speaker thread (on the web) and you’ll see very little support for Wilson. Even on this (pro) Wilson thread, the brand is struggling.

There is better sound, if you simply seek and find out....
I love my Sabrina’s as well.  Proper set-up is key.   I’m using Levinson amps, and I’m happy with the combination.