Wilson Sophia 2--- VTL S-150 or Ayre V1-xe?

Hi,
I just got the speakers and need an amp to drive them. I was wondering if a VTL S-150 would be enough. I have a Cary SLI-80 right now and I dont get the tight full bass. The top end and mid is perfect though. I dont think I could live with a ss amp on Wilson for it would be too bright. Thx.
nickt

Showing 1 response by madfloyd

In my opinion, the VTL-150 won't work with the Sophia 2's. I have both (although in separate systems) and tried them together. Bass was F-L-A-B-B-Y. I'm guessing that amp doesn't have enough juice at 4ohms.

I'm guessing you also don't want Ayre. I heard Ayre electronics matched up with Wilson Sasha's at RMAF and it was thin and bright sounding - not my cup of tea. If you like realistic body, you're going to need tubes in your path somewhere (imo).

I have Pass amps and use a tube preamp to balance out the sound. I have heard nothing but good things about the Parasound and would love to audition them one day. I did try the preamp and it was very warm and nice, but a little rolled off on top. I wonder how the amp would sound...