Wilson Benesch Speakers (Worth it?)

Dear fellow audiogoners. Does any one have an opinion or experiences with Benesch line of speakers? They're a bit expensive, but do you think they're worth the price? I am always curious to why speakers cost so much in general....especially when open them up and see the guts. Nothing is worse than pondering how can some foam, a little metals, and plastics cost so darn much? The most of the speakers is made up of air anyway. Is it marketing expense allocations or is it really R&D? I am asking because I am in the market for some speakers, but curious to see if they're really worth the money. Thanks in advance for your feedbacks. p.s. I am just a little annoyed by reviewers over using the phrase " at $1M (I am exagerating here), these speakers sounds much better than there competitor at double the price.." Really, how many speakers are there in the $100K+ market anyway?
washington_deadskins9bd0

Showing 1 response by kkirkpac099

Yes, I too wonder where these guys get off with their prices. Basically, they charge it because some of us (can)pay it. But you oversimplify; Why does a bottle of fine wine cost $10,000? After all "It's just some fermented grape juice in a $5 bottle...". Ya' know? Why does anything cost what it does? Actually, the way it's supposed to work is as follows: Barny Bigear works in his garage and puts together "the next big breakthrough thing" that "kills" any other thing like it! Kool! Now Gilbert Gotbucks, of XYZ Electronics finds out about this whatever and offers Barny more money for the rights than he could make building it himself. Simple so far? XYZ has been building things a long time and knows how to "Make 'em for less" and all (economy of scale) and everyone is happy! That is until Mr. Bean Counter starts cutting corners here-and-there until you end up with Mid-fi... To make a long ramble short, a lot of owners like being owners (just so they can boss others around and feel like they're the big cheese, you know...) so they put $1000 worth of stuff in a box and sell it to us gullibles for $10,000 (it's soooo shiny!). As long as there is enough loose cash floating around they'll keep doin-what-they're-doing. Can't blame 'em.