Wilson Audio Specialties Chronosonic XVX loudspeaker!! only $300,000.oo

What a bargain, still bet they sound great with the right amp up them, looking at that impedance/phase angle graph.
https://www.stereophile.com/images/421WXVXfig1.jpg

XVX is a very demanding load, with EPDR less than 1.1 ohms between 52Hz and 66Hz and between 197Hz and 287Hz, with minimum values of 0.91 ohms at 450Hz and 0.94 ohms at 3250Hz. The Chronosonic XVX should be used with amplifiers that don't have problems driving loads of 2 ohms and lower.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-chronosonic-xvx-loudspeaker

Cheers George

128x128georgehifi

Showing 18 responses by perkri

@edgewound

Haha

"Nope. Just exposing who you really are."

By attaching my name to something I didn’t say and that wasn’t directed at me?

Thats clever.

Form follows function.

I can see why some may not like the look of them, but they are speakers. Speakers make sound...

And given the price of these, 99.999999% of amps are already ruled out. What are you wanting to do, drive them with a charming vintage set up? 

Doubt it. 
The impedance chart is a bit of a mute point when you are looking at comparable amps. D’Agostino Relentless etc. 

Dont know if I would buy these if I could. But, would sure love to be in a position where this level of gear could be considered. Then it’s all about what do you want your system to really sound like, without compromise. 
Now, I have no idea what kind of computer you are using, or what it’s main purpose is, but I am going to guess its a home type computer?

Most likely not the kind of high performance machine required to do computer animation or any other high math demanding application.

A fully pimped out Mac Pro retails for 67K CDN...

So yeah, we can pick up speakers that will indeed produce sound for very few $$$’s, but at what level? Much like we can get computers for comparatively few $$$’s.

Who cares what someone is selling or someone else is buying? Who cares what someone is charging or what someone is paying?

None, I repeat none, of what we put in our systems is needed. None of it.

Everything we have in our home systems is in the realm of want. Need, is not a part of it.

Does anyone need 300K speakers? No, but then no one needs a $50 speaker to listen to music either. They are both the same in that they are rooted in wants. We want to listen to music.

And yeah, I know, there’s the argument coming my way that we need art in our lives. As an artist, I would like to think we do, but in reality we don’t need art to survive.

Do these "things" improve the quality of our lives? Sure.

Being an audiophile is a want, not a need.

So, there is no difference between wanting a $50.00 pair of Minimus 7’s vs wanting a pair of 300K Wilsons other than the means of being able to facilitate that want...
@inna 

I agree, suspect I wouldn't be setting up a million dollar system if I had the means either :)

But, I'm not going to place judgement on someone who does as so many seem to like to do.(Not saying you are...) No skin off my teeth what someone decides to do with their money.
From what I gather, these were never intended to be a production speaker, they were meant for himself and a handful of friends. Here was someone who had spent their life building and designing speakers, why wouldn't he want to build the precursors to these?

Back in the early 90's, I happened into a high end store and they had a pair of Grand Slamms hooked up in one of their listening rooms. That was my first experience of a true high end system. I remember telling the story of my experience to all my friends - audiophile or not - about this insane system I had just listened to and the physical experience of it.

Only Wilsons I've ever heard. Left an impression for sure. Can't say I am a fan from that one encounter of their product, but I can say, I am a fan of high end!

And I am not a fan of petty people who how have nothing better to do than to take a crap on things that cost more than they think they should. Especially when most have never heard the items they are slamming.

And who cares why someone buys something. Be that a painting, vintage sports car, a riffle from the Civil War or any other collector item.

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone who makes a ton of money is a crook. Who do you think builds the industries that provide work to so many?

And the whole thing "only a fool would spend that much on a pair of speakers...". Well, got a hot news flash for you. If they have managed to build a personal fortune that makes it possible to get a pair of 300K speakers, with all the "right stuff" to go with it (a million dollar set up) I'm going to go out on a limb and say they are most likely WAAAAAAAAY smarter than you. Just sayin'.

Again, I agree.

There is a tremendous divide when it comes to how much people can apply to their system.

Having said that, this is a High End website, and as such, anyone who comes to any website that is a forum to discuss any high end item/activity, should be able to maintain an open mind.
@edgewoundtootightly    

You remind me of someone who was once spewing the same rhetoric, kenjit seem to remember his name though. 

So simple. Now, how about adding an animated feature film to your list of fantasies - just use your super duper computer.

See, it’s this kind of dismissal of just how difficult it is to make an amazing component that is so sad. It’s a combination of arrogance, ignorance as well as being completely disrespectful of the sheer time and energy goes into a product, that’s not even beginning to address the skill, experience and knowledge required to build a world class component.

@inna 

300k is a heck of a lot of money for a component. 
It could be argued that those very few who have the means to buy these ultra high end products are taking the manufacturers R&D to new levels as they realize these products. There is always trickle down from this R&D. Guess who benefits? We do. I, for one, am glad they get to develop and build these crazy things. It’s at the edge of feasibility that breakthroughs happen...
"Dismissal. Arrogance. Ignorance. Disrespect.

Most of these come with age and experience, as well as a healthy skepticism for things with extreme price tags."

Hot news flash. These are precisely the personality defects one is supposed to leave behind with experience and wisdom. These are not places where one should aspire to arrive at.

@audition__audio 

Low impedances,  certainly are not my preferred scenario. When I brought my ESL-57's home, and looking at the impedance curve, I was a bit concerned with what I drove them with. If given the option of what impedance speaker I would get - if the manufacturer offered that option - my preference would be to go higher.

Having said that, if there was a speaker that did have a impedance dip or peak, and if I liked how it sounded (ESL-57...) I would just be aware of the demands on the amp. So, tubes for the ESL's it is!

And there are amps that will manage low impedances without straining very much. But I do agree, any part of the system that is stressed, is not going to be operating at it's best.

Why is it, people think that the wealthy do not donate? Who do you think provide the largest contributions to various charities and institutions?

Perhaps it would make you feel better if they gave everything away?

What percentage should someone be allowed to keep for themselves? What should they be required to give away? What are they allowed to spend money on?

Oh, and while you’re at it, how about you set the maximum price for things. Set a limit to how far something can be developed. That’ll will be useful. 
Genius

@audition__audio 

Yeah, I suspect you are correct. Entitlement is a challenging thing these days. 

@edgewound.  
Really, you are asking that? Such a dumb question 

I guess you have never changed or upgraded to something you felt was better or that somehow suited your musical tastes better?

And since when, was a hobby about clever investments?

@phusis 

There are a couple of folks here who prescribe to the master/slave mentality. They think the ones at the top, don’t work.

Hot news flash. They work, very hard. And all of the ones I have met, and know, are extremely curious individuals. They are also extraordinarily generous. One recently donated 300m to a university research facility. There are wings in major hospitals here they have also set up. Humble, kind and inclusive people.

I am not, in their economic sphere, not even remotely close, not in the same universe.
My system is very, very modest. I will never be in a position to purchase any high end gear, ever.

I’m more than ok with that. My own lack of means to participate in the ultra, or even high end gear does not in any way close my mind to the possibility of its value or of its quality.

Unless I hear it for myself, I do not judge. There are pieces of gear I would love to hear, and potentially own if I had the means. And if I didn’t like something after having heard it, I would not criticize someone else for buying it, whatever it’s price. It would simply be, not for me.
@highend666

Thank you for the link. Loved the part where he writes about the craftsmen who build these make a proper living.
Also love his acknowledgment of what goes into the back end of building - never mind designing - a speaker of this caliber of fit and finish.
I’m sure there are some who think they can just crank one of these out in their garage over a couple of weekends with some tools, wood, glue and some drivers.