Wilson Audio Specialties Chronosonic XVX loudspeaker!! only $300,000.oo

What a bargain, still bet they sound great with the right amp up them, looking at that impedance/phase angle graph.
https://www.stereophile.com/images/421WXVXfig1.jpg

XVX is a very demanding load, with EPDR less than 1.1 ohms between 52Hz and 66Hz and between 197Hz and 287Hz, with minimum values of 0.91 ohms at 450Hz and 0.94 ohms at 3250Hz. The Chronosonic XVX should be used with amplifiers that don't have problems driving loads of 2 ohms and lower.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-chronosonic-xvx-loudspeaker

Cheers George

128x128georgehifi

Showing 17 responses by audition__audio

I believe a case can be made that a speaker with this sort of impedance is a poorly designed speaker! No amp exists that will sound best with this type of load. Sort of like asking an amplifier to fix problems that exist in a design due to bad engineering. Ridiculous in my book and a burden to its owner. 
So we now have a speaker requiring a certain amp based on this amps ability to drive difficult loads instead of sonics? If this isnt enough to get buyers to avoid Wilson I dont know what could. Certainly this model at the very least.
But a SOTA speaker would not have such a terrible impedance. Obviously the designer was married to a group of drivers and a crossover design which they put together and lived with the resultant impedance. Bad engineering! 
Cant remember which show it was, but I heard a Wilson speaker with LAMM. It was actually very good until someone asked that they turn up the volume and then not so much. Wilson with S.S., to date, has never worked for me.
I like the looks of the speaker. But at this price I would think you could find a speaker which would work properly with more than a few amps. You cant escape the fact that low impedance speakers make amps work too hard. 
Doug, perhaps you need to talk with both amp and speaker designers before making a ridiculous statement as you did above about speaker impedance. Remember that you are attempting to attract people to your writing and the best way to do this would to be correct in what you say. In what world is a low impedance load preferable to a high impedance load when discussing amplifiers? Just because an amp doesnt blow up doesnt mean that it is happy with such a load and furthermore that the amp will behave the same in terms of sonics. Please tell me that a low impedance load is preferable to a high impedance load. Even better, please tell me that this issue is entirely amplifier dependent. 

Yes I have a pair of Quad 63s and only drive it with tubes. But, I have heard, some feedback helps in this process. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that it is the swing on the Quads that is the problem. I think that the reason for the impedance curves on ESLs is pretty intrinsic while on dynamics speakers it is more of a design choice.

perki,
It would make these people feel better if the rich gave everything away to them. Because, of course, they deserve it. 
Doug I will read your upcoming review, but I meet most of your advice, based on past experience, with more than the typical amount of skepticism. I will add that a single amp does not a species make. I suspect it will be a Class D type design and nothing you will write will change the immutable fact that low impedance loads are bad.

Stop the nonsense about making judgements regarding the people who can afford this level of speaker. It stinks of the 21st century progressivism and it presupposes a lack of charity the level of which is unknown. People who write this type of crap are judgmental tools who subscribe to some fictional narrative usually put forth by those who dont instead of do. 

If you crusaders want to make the world a better place, go out and start a lively discussion about some "forbidden" topic. Hopefully start this discussion with some college student and make them really uncomfortable. 
I agree with daveyf. Most of the exotic material tweeters I have heard were less than impressive. When Wilson changed from the awful tweeter they used for years I thought they sounded much better. Not only are few exotics to my taste but what you have to do with the crossover to tame the nasties is often impedes the overall performance. You can add Thiel to the list of unlistenable speakers for this reason. 
Man there are there really stupid generalizations above. Generalizing about the upper economic strata is just a form of social racism. Acceptable and allowed but no more ridiculous than any number of generalizations that I could make about the poor or minorities. Fact is that generalizations arent worth a damn regardless of the target group. None of us know the motivations or aspirations of anyone as a rule. But, aside from the trust funders, higher income can usually be associated with guts, hard work and good ideas.

I love it when people throw out community service as if this were some measure of worth, value or concern for others. By the way, your friend has already shown his hand by stating that he feels ashamed of flaunting his wealth. Most likely you wont get an objective opinion about the wealthy from a person who feels ashamed of what he has earned. The silly 21st century propaganda about class appears to have already done a number on his brain. To not live your life as you want due to appearances could be viewed as a tragic sign of weakness.

Earn your money, spend it as you see fit, pay what you owe in taxes and be charitable as your conscience dictates. 
So it is a sign of good character and self esteem to worry about the appearances? I see it as fashion. Not all those who are wealthy are trust funders. Of course you see it as positive because you believe in the narrative and you see the accumulation of wealth as an ignoble pursuit.
In this case I would agree with you that this doesnt seem like a good value, but who am I to say. I know what I think the LP12 is worth, not so sure I can put a value on the Scotch.

Who is making assumptions? You assume I have a lack of character because I object to the notion that all wealthy people flaunt their wealth. Is flaunting wealth is some great sin? The richest people I know, granted I live in the Midwest, do not have a tendency to flaunt what they have. My problem is with people that are more concerned with perception and would let the possibility of a negative perception prevent them from doing what they wish. Most people with your attitude have a chip or have had some bad experience with wealthy people from their younger days or previous lives. 
edgewound,

So how does one flaunt their wealth? Give me the exact dollar amount when flaunting begins with: cars, houses, clothes and stereo systems? Assume that this imaginary rich person is worth 100 million. How, exactly, should they spend the money? What meets with your approval? And is the flaunting in how they act or what they buy? I am sure there is some subjective moral imperative lurking in the shadows somewhere.

If you are serious about the 160K room, details would be wonderful. Hell even a 16K room might be interesting. I made most of my treatments.