Will the Plinius 8200 Mk1 fit my needs?

Given that I listen everything from jazz to folk to electronic to metal, how would a Plinius 8200 work? I haven't decided on the speakers yet, but I'm leaning toward Dynaudio or System Audio. I like an open sound, with plenty of imaging, soundstage & dynamics... percussion is important to me! Any other recommendations for electronics that might suit my tastes? I'm trying to stay under about $1500. Thanks for the input.

Dennis
eeerie1

Showing 1 response by timwat

I would concur with the last two posts from 8200 owners...and I'm not selling mine. I am running two Maggie 3.5's, which have been purported to be a current-hungry, difficult load to drive. I'm not an engineer so cannot refute or confirm, but I am very happy with the performance of the 8200 MKI on the Maggies. Concert-level SPL, wonderful airy top end, liquid midrange, substantial and controlled bass. And of course, transients are wonderfully immediate...though that may be more because of the planars than the upstream gear.

FWIW, I have been told that the 8200 MKII resolves bass better than the MKI, but have not heard the MKII so cannot verify.

Personally, I don't feel the 8200 is bright. At least not with my Maggies. As you haven't selected speakers yet, perhaps system synergy will have a lot more to do with your final outcome than simply the Plinius examined in isolation.

Tim