Will Old MAC outperform Cambridge 640 Azur V2?

I have wanted to integrate some McIntosh components into my system for a while now, on a budget. I have grown up on Mac stuff and remember the sweet sound of that gear from when I was 5 years old. The items I am looking at are the 7100(not that old), 122(not that old), and the 2105(oldest) for a power section. I was planning on using my Cambridge 640 as a pre until I get my hands on a C15 McIntosh pre. Other preamps I am considering are the c28 or a c3x of some sort. My only other alternative would be a mac integrated like the 6300. My budget, about 2 grand, and I am going to purchase used components.

Now I am truly curious if these lower level Macs will out perform my Cambridge 640 and truly deliver the mac sound? Or will I have move further up the line to truly get the mac sound? What do you guys think?

Oh yeah: As for the loud speakers. I am hoping to match the mac components with a pair of totem hawks or possibly Forests.
dfelkai

Showing 1 response by fightingwords

i want to revive this thread. I'm in this very same situtation.

Currently have a marantz 2215, definately want to upgrade.

Looking at the Cambridge 550a integrated w/ the Cambridge 640P or 540P phonp pre's. Also, looking at a McIntosh MC2505 and a C26.

The Cambridge audio is brand spanking new, and likely wouldnt need any attention other than burn-in and is covered by warranty--but it lacks the over all sex-appeal and would probably be something I look to upgrade after a few years.

The MC stuff would be more expensive, and likely require some servicing, and theres always a risk with buying vintage gear, but I would be less likely to upgrade this anytime soon.

Really stuck here. Does classic always conquer new? Or is there something to be said for the 'assumed' reliability of a new product? Also, sub-points, I'm budget consious at 26 years young and primarily listen to vinyl.