Will Old MAC outperform Cambridge 640 Azur V2?

I have wanted to integrate some McIntosh components into my system for a while now, on a budget. I have grown up on Mac stuff and remember the sweet sound of that gear from when I was 5 years old. The items I am looking at are the 7100(not that old), 122(not that old), and the 2105(oldest) for a power section. I was planning on using my Cambridge 640 as a pre until I get my hands on a C15 McIntosh pre. Other preamps I am considering are the c28 or a c3x of some sort. My only other alternative would be a mac integrated like the 6300. My budget, about 2 grand, and I am going to purchase used components.

Now I am truly curious if these lower level Macs will out perform my Cambridge 640 and truly deliver the mac sound? Or will I have move further up the line to truly get the mac sound? What do you guys think?

Oh yeah: As for the loud speakers. I am hoping to match the mac components with a pair of totem hawks or possibly Forests.
dfelkai

Showing 3 responses by dfelkai

lol, that is true. It is not really longevity I am after, I was hoping for some advice and it seems pretty clear from what you guys are saying. I will try to set up an audition and I will definitely post my results.
UPDATE:

The Cambridge is long gone, sold! However I strongly advise this amplifier as a good first amp. Dollar for dollar it is hard to beat it, I have seen them on the used market for $300. It is difficult to find another comparable amp for this price. I recommend it!!!