Will Michell Technoarm work with Denon 103R?

Hi There,

I ordered the OL Silver arm to be used with a Denon 103R cart and I was going to do twl's hifi mod. But... the OL Silver order fell through and I have the option to switch to the Michell Technoarm. I understand that the Michell Technoarm has lower effective mass than the OL silver. Will this arm work with the Denon DL103? Has anyone done twl's hifi mod to this arm?

Thanks,

Todd
goatwuss

Showing 2 responses by flyingred

Technoarm is based on the Rega RB250, same as the OL Silver. Both are classed as medium mass arms and should work fine with a DL103. If there is a difference in effective mass it shouldn't be sufficiently different to cause you problems.

I've just heard that my Expressimo is being shipped today. I'll be fitting a DL103 in it.
I met Conrad Mas, the designer of the Avid turntables at the London high end show yesterday. The Avids work by routing vibration induced in the disc through the spindle/bearing into the subchassis.

What I thought was particularly interesting was that this relies on the arm/table connection to be strongly coupled - so SME and Rega arms work best. He commented that unipivots and Schroeders don't work well (on an Avid) because the vibration in the arm finds and upsets the most compliant element of the system.

He commented that Origin Live arms were not as effective because they slacken the bearings off compared to Rega.