Will increasing speaker cable AWG make a difference in sound quality?

Increasing speaker cable size (for example w/AQ the cable sizes move up in size from 15AWG to 10AWG) improve sound quality?

128x128farne230

I needed some slightly longer cables as a new amp wouldn't fit in my normal amp rack space and needed to be a little further away from the speakers. I saw the new version of Kiimber 8PR cables now using the "varistrand" design (varied thickness little solid core wires in each strand), liked the look and paid less than 500 bucks for a terminated 13.5 foot pair. They look great and sound great...10 AWG to each speaker post. 

Depending on the amplifier and speakers, a larger speaker cable (lower gauge number) can improve the damping factor of the amplifier, which improves grip on the speakers. As to why/how a cable can effect sound quality, the construction of the cable, type of insulation, and whether shielded/unshielded can also impart audible changes. It's system-dependent so YMMV.

Speaker cable selection is more complicated than just the gauge. In general the longer the run the larger the gauge, but that is an oversimplification. Material choices are probably more important.

@thespeakerdude

"Never heard of Zavfino before today, and I see many mentioning it. A company with USA in their name, apparently based out of little farmhouse in the middle of no where in Canada, and made somewhere in the world. Definitely leveraging the power of the internet and outsourcing."

Actually, if you want to know the truth this "little farmhouse" is world class- check out the construction of the Silver Dart power and tell me they don’t have skills

"Zavfino - THE NEXT REVOLUTION IN ANALOGUE"

At Zavfino we have been engineering cables, components and accessories for some of the biggest names in the Hi‐Fi industry for over 15 years. For the past 9 years we have been supplying products under our own brand names – 1877Phono and Zavfino, to distributors, dealers and manufacturers worldwide. Our Pure Silver and OCC copper tonearm wiring kits are used by some of the leading tonearm manufacturers. They are also the #1 choice for rewiring vintage Japanese tonearms.

Our extensive line of cables, components and accessories are 100% engineered, designed and assembled in-house, utilizing enameled Pure Silver, Japanese OCC copper, and a wide range of dielectrics such as Teflon, FEP, PTFE, and HPE, and are newest breakthrough Graphene LDP all of which are sourced from the USA, Germany and Japan. We have extensive experience in contract engineering and fabricating turntables and components since 2004, and in 2015, proudly introduced our first turntable line—the ZV5 Series. The ZV5 is paired with our knife edge Ashena Series Tonearms in aluminum and carbon. A labour of love, the ZV5 uses a classic shape with a modern engineering twist and limited edition custom hand painted and pinstriped ‘Oldskool’ designs. Powered by an independent motor and speed regulator, we have truly built a table for the discerning analogue connoisseur.

Our Aeshna Tonearms come standard on all of our tables and are 100% manufactured, wired, assembled and tested in‐house by our own technicians. Although we would like to take full credit for its complete design, we actually sought out and joint ventured with a UK based tonearm designer/engineer/legend having over 25 years of designing and manufacturing cutting‐edge tonearms; with fhis “the right way, or hit the highway” approach. The outcome is and amazing arm that we can proudly pair with our components.

At Zavfino we are committed to offering world class products to dedicated audiophiles. We don’t believe in offering misleading specifications for a quick dollar, and we only use the best materials on the market for all our projects. We have many more great products coming so please check our site regularly for our newest innovations.

Zavfino’s H-Wound™ + Zero Strand Loss:

Drawing on more than 18 years of manufacturing experience, Zavfino has developed a remarkable new technique for twisting stranded wire tightly around a central solid-core conductor. An electrical phenomenon commonly known as the “skin effect” occurs when electrons move through any solid core conductor. Higher frequencies travel along the outside (the skin) of the conductor faster than midrange and lower echelon frequencies. This results in smeared PRaT, muddled instrumental timbres, and an unnatural sound. Zavfino’s new H-Wound™ manufacturing technique negates the skin effect. Originally developed by OEMs Siemens and Klangfilm, Zavfino uses a customized transformer wire-stranding machine. We further modified the gears in this machinery to create windings at a slower RPM ratio with a much tighter pitch. This patented manufacturing process enables us to twist the wiring at the tightest pitch possible without overlapping the wire strands. Most wire-stranding machines can only fabricate windings up to a maximum of 300 twists per meter. Setting the bar far higher, Zavfino’s patented H-Wound™ cable winding machine creates a pitch rate of 14,000 to 16,000 twists per meter; which is unmatched by any other audiophile cable maker. Zavfino’s new Zero Strand Loss™ manufacturing technique protects the bundled conductors from being damaged during stripping and termination. By ensuring that each core has zero chipped, cut, or mangled strands, we can guarantee that each insulated core is 100% identical. For audiophiles, the sonic results of tighter windings and Zero Strand Loss™ conductors are cables with quieter backgrounds, remarkable timbral accuracy, lifelike PRaT, jaw dropping mid-range resolution, and superior low frequency extension. Our new H-Wound™ stranding technology allows us to protect the delicate electrical signal being transferred through our cables. Combined with Zavfino’s state of the art manufacturing techniques, our precision matched OCC Copper (Cu) and Silver (Ag) conductors used in the Silver Dart™ A/C power cord bring an unequalled purity and honesty to all forms of music. The results are previously unheard details, finesse, and accuracy across the frequency spectrum.

What is ZGRAPh-LDPTM..GRAPHENE.?
Zavfino is the first audiophile cable OEM to integrate graphene insulation into high-end A/C power cables as a dielectric shield. After more than two years in development with a leading American graphene polymer research company, we’re proud to unveil our new proprietary ZGRAPh-LDPTM conductive shielding/dielectric, first used within our Silver DartTM OCC A/C power cable.

There is more.... and I don’t see any USA in this website/name : Zavfino Silver Dart PC

Yes! To my surprise, I was running Monoprice 4/12 to my LaScala lls & was happy until I went with Furutech Flagship OCC HIFI Speaker Cable Fever grade, which is 2/12 wire. I noticed a sense of clarity & openness. Highly recommend.