Will I be a jaw dropping Wow for an upgraded CDP?

My current system

AES/Cary SE-1 SET (300b tubes) amp
Decware Zen Amp (used both alternatively)
AES/Cary AE-3 Preamp
Sony and Panasonic walkman type CDP (using line out)
Low end Audioquest and homemade RS magnet wire interconnect
Axiom M22Ti speakers (with pure copper monster cable)

I listen to a variety of music, but fall in love with vocal (especially female) and chamber music. I also listen to both Pop/rock and Classical. Most of the time I listen to moderate level, not very lound (to give you the idea, I never clip my Zen amp on my 92 dB rated speakers yet.).

To be frank I am pretty happy with my set up right now. Female vocal sound wonderful on this setup.

Just that I can afford a better CDP, probably for around 600 or so. I am wondering how much better I should expect to spend 600 on it?

I know many people are happy to pay 10 grands just to get small amount of improvement. For me I try to justify how my money will pay off. $600 is quite a lot for me and I would be disappointed if the improvement is so subtle that I barely notice it. For example I had a failed marry with the new Music Hall MMF CD25 (failed miserably and had to return it.)
As it wasn't burnt in completely yet so it hard to justify. I know that it sounds differnt from my walkman CDP, but not sure if I could say it sounds better.

I have read a lot about CDP selections, but still can't justify to get one. Many story about Model A is better than model B, but not much about how better.

For example Rega Planet 2000 is better than Cambridge audio 500SE, but by how much? Is it worth extra 500 for that differnce?

I know this kind of question is hard to answer as it subjective, but still would like to hear thought from experienced people who went to this route before.

Thanks a lot,

Ake
ake

Showing 1 response by pe3046

I was using a panasonic portable cdp using the line out with 70's vintage panasonic receiver, and picked up a denon dcm-560 cd changer from good guys for $250 with 5 year warranty. The second I connected it (I used MIT 330 series II IC) there was an enormous difference in sound, their was just so much more of it (sounded much fuller) and much less digital sounding. I don't think the little outputs on the portable cd players can compete with the analog outputs on any of the over $200 cd players connected via a quality cable(something like a straightwire chorus $30)What failed so miserably about the music hall? I myself would like to play with vinyl when money allows.