Will an Auralic Vega best my Meridian 508.24 significantly?

I'm interested in getting something like the Auralic Vega and driving it with the coax output of my Meridian 508.24. Comparing the measurements between the Vega and the 508.24's analog output is striking... the Vega looks FAR superior. It's clear though that with many of the measurements, the Vega is being fed a higher bit depth and sampling rate than redbook CD.

My question is, will I experience a monumental improvement in sound quality if the digital output of my Meridian is the input to the Vega, or would that require higher resolution formats?
sboje

Showing 2 responses by erik_squires

I've seen DAC's with great specs be good sounding and terrible sounding. It's really nearly impossible to tell.  If you can't listen before purchasing, I suggest the Shiit as one I really like but also there is also ExaSound which let you return it after listening.

I expect the Shiit and ExaSound to be very different to your ears. :)
Well, i don't own a Shiit, I bought an AR DAC 8, and the Shiit to me was closest to it of the one's we listened to.  I also like the Ayre DAC's a great deal. I wouldn't put too much on Stereophile's measurements.  Sorry.  Unless a DAC is seriously broken they just don't reveal much, and I might say the sam of the reviews. :) 

During that same process I also learned I'm not a fan of using a Mac as a source.  This is another thing.  While I'm usually a big fan of Ayre DAC's the Mac Mini, despite upgrades, made it's top end sound really hard.  Point is, even if Stereophile gives it a great review, and mesures fabulously, it may not work well with your source.  So it's important to look and listen for yourself.  

One of my pet peeves is Stereophile measures USB DAC's under the best possible conditions, while battery operated.  Bah.  That's like rating a Kayak in a bath tub. 

Best,

Erik