will adding a subwoofer improve overall audio

hi. my question is: will adding a subwoofer to my audio system improve overall performance, soundstage, clarity, etc. my system is: jm labs focal 918's(8' triangle between speakers, and away from listening chair), bat amp and pre amp, rega saturn cd player, running springs power conditioner, jps audio interconnects, kimber kable speaker cable. i have a small listening room, and am thinking the sub would help. also, any sub recomendations? i'm thinkin rel, jl audio, or b&w. thanks for the input, gil
gilman6125

Showing 1 response by ras422

OK--you have lots of good thoughts on this thread about subs-It comes down to your system and personal preference whether you use a xover or run your mains with full signal and and let your sub or subs xover at whatever low pass you find works best--my stats are almost flat to 40hz(measured professionally)by xovering them at 50hz with a good active xover I get much increased dynamics etc--I use 2 jlaudio fathom 113s---they do not come with built in xovers --I have tried it the other way with the mains running full and the subs blending and prefer using the xover --see reviews of jl subs in absolute sound and st phile where they used xovers--there are no rights or wrongs just personal preferences and system issues that you have to find out for yourself--good luck Rich