Will a Wattgate 20A IEC female end fit AR VS115?

I found to my chagrin, that a Furutech 20A IEC plug on an aftermarket power cord will not seat all the way on my AR VS115 amp because the fuse holder protrudes right above the amps power receptacle. The main body of the Furutech butts up against the protruding fuse holder before the plug can seat fully. The Wattgate has a low shoulder between body and plug, which may be just enough to allow full seating. If anyone is using a Wattgate with success on a VS115, please let me know. I plan to just rewire the cord.
shuteye

Showing 7 responses by shuteye

I agree, piss poor design for sure. Never considered it until I went to plug in my A'gon purchased DCCA reference master. Now just need to find out regarding the Wattgate. A bit of an esoteric question, I know.

Gbart, I don't believe the Schurter will take the heavy guage copper in the DCCA - it is one stiff, heavy cord. So much so that I would only use it for an amp or power supply, even if it had a 15A end.
Hey, Jea48.....The VS115 was introduced by AR in Jan 2008, so was underdevelopment for some time prior. It is a current offering - this one is less than 1 year old and I've owned it for 3 months. It replaced Qucksilver Mono 90's, and has been a clear upgrade in sonic performance. I was considering Quicksilver V4's when this one came up for sale.
Thanks Chashhas, whatever input you can give me will be very helpful. If your friend's cord is heavy guage with an after market plug, please check on the make of the plug. I would like to just rewire the DCCA power cord.
OK, so what I really want to know, is does a Wattgate 20A IEC connector fit into the back of an AR VS115. With all respect Jea48, I honestly don't care about who currently owns AR. The VS 115 is a great sounding amp, I got a good deal on it, and I want to adapt my new power cord to fit it. Plain and simple. So I repeat, does anyone have experience with a Wattgate 20A IEC fitting a VS 115? Or, if not, I appreciate input as to what aftermarket cords serve this amp well.
Thanks for the input, Chashas. I may just go ahead and order a Wattgate, as it is the only one of the high end connectors that looks like there may be clearance. If there is sufficient clearance, it will be by a gnats ass. I can return it if it doesn't fit. At $97.00 it may be a few weeks before I do so. In the meantime, if anyone has any info on a viable 20A connector, please shoot it my way.
Chashas, tell your friend to check out Shunyata.
Their 20A IEC connectors are like the AR ends in conformation - plug body is small and square. They also make a 20A to 15A adapter, allowing use of a 15A cord, but also serving the purpose of moving the plug body out from the back plate of the amp, leaving room for the fuse holder end cap.
Hey Alexanderj, thanks for the input. Do you mean the immediate shoulder that is somewhat squared off that surrounds the insertive portion of the plug protrudes above the insertive portion by .3 inch? In other words, this is the clearance that would be needed to insert under the fuse holder? Thanks Jea48 for supplying the picture of the back of the amp for reference in your first post. I admit I am computer challenged in this regard.

One more question Alexanderj, what is the length of the shoulder, measured from plug body to drop off of the shoulder (where it drops off to the insertive portion)?

Thanks!