Will a transformer, 220 to 100v, ruin the sound?

Hello, I need some advice please,

When buying a european amplifier with stock 220 voltage, is there any degradation of sound when using a transformer to convert it to 110 volt operation ?

thanks,

Mike
sonicbeauty

Showing 1 response by david12

I think it depends on the quality of the transformer, but the advise I got going the other direction was yes, it could. I live in the UK and recently bought a Conrad Johnson Premier 17 pre (from Audiogon of course). I had to convert 230 to 110.
A word of caution, you do'nt always have to change the transformer. Many companies make products easily adjustable, they are trying to meet an international market after all. I contacted the CJ importer in the UK, after much sucking of teeth and tutting, he said he could adjust the voltage for £300 ($500!). I took it to an electronic engineer who simply adjusted the connections to the transformer, as the CJ was designed to do, 1 hour and £25.
Just make sure you can'nt adjust the voltage internally before going for external transformers. Another friend spent $3000, for a fancy JPS transformer for his imported Spectral 12 pre and when sent for repair, there was a simple switch inside to adjust the voltage