Will a subwoofer add depth and clarity to my system, or just bass?

hi folks,
I just purchased a set of Focal Aria 906 speakers with stand, powered by a Bluestream PowerNode (not my ideal system but I had a limited budget).  I think it sounds really good, but am wondering if an upgrade to a subwoofer is worth it, and if so, what would pair well with this system -- my audio guy recommended the JL Audio D110 10" Dominion Subwoofer, but that's out of my price range.  Perhaps a SVSPB1000, for $499?  My room isn't very big, and I don't use the system for movies, just listening to mostly jazz and rock (and classical).
Thank you!
jazz99
Dear @noble100  : Makes no sense what you posted about CD recording engenners decision.
Is the first time that I read what you posted about and this week I will my own low bass tests in my system looking for that " mono " or " stereo " sound. I have a lot of movie soundtracks with precise low bass recording " parts " and in some of them I have its LP couple too and my preamp is dual mono with separate L/R attenuators. We will see what I'm able to find out.

R.

Hello rauliruegas,

You need to be more specific about my comments not making sense.  I'm a bit biased but I think they make perfect sense.
     The main point is whether you're aware of ANY cd containing discrete L/R channel deep bass information?
     Careful with your tests, please don't disregard my comments about mono deep bass being perceived as stereo deep bass with the directional assistance of higher frequency harmonics/overtones being heard from the main speakers.  This is a real psycho acoustic effect that I've experienced in my own system.
     Thinking about this further, my thoughts are that, ultimately, it's best just to run any subs in one's system in mono.  The reason being that the deep bass will be perceived as stereo deep bass regardless of whether the recorded content contains discrete L/R channel bass information or not.  I know this is true with my ears/brain, with my bass system and in my room.

My mom always tells me I'm special but the truth is more likely that everybody's able to perceive mono bass as stereo bass with the assistance of additional directional information coming from the main speakers.

Tim  
Dear @noble100  : A mix up. I'm not trying to say that what you posted makes no sense because it makes.
What I posted is about the decision of recording engineers/producers that having the opportunity to use the bass range stereo information decided that in the low or very low bass to mix mono. This is what makes no sense for me and for you and any one.

As I told you I will make my tests listening each single channel with part of CD's information that came mainly with low bass range with out information of instruments in the mid/high frequency range. We will see.

I know that those tests will be a learning time.

R.
Hello rauliruegas,

Okay, now I understand.  
      Thanks for the clarification and looking forward to your results.

Tim
Post removed