Will a subwoofer add depth and clarity to my system, or just bass?

hi folks,
I just purchased a set of Focal Aria 906 speakers with stand, powered by a Bluestream PowerNode (not my ideal system but I had a limited budget).  I think it sounds really good, but am wondering if an upgrade to a subwoofer is worth it, and if so, what would pair well with this system -- my audio guy recommended the JL Audio D110 10" Dominion Subwoofer, but that's out of my price range.  Perhaps a SVSPB1000, for $499?  My room isn't very big, and I don't use the system for movies, just listening to mostly jazz and rock (and classical).
Thank you!
jazz99

Vtvmtodvm wrote:

"The "distributed array" concept is worthy with one notable exception: It generally (?) recommends leaving the main speakers Unfiltered."

Whether or not filtering the main speakers is desirable depends on the specifics of the situation. The same is true with ANY subwoofer system.

The amplifier included with the Swarm and DEBRA systems has a fixed 80 Hz 2nd order line-level highpass filter built in, so the option is always there.

If there’s a worthwhile benefit to the main speakers from using it, then by all means use it! If not, then why not leave it out of the signal path?

Duke

designer of the Swarm

To OPTIMALLY separate the (low bass) subwoofer passband from the (mid-bass) main woofer passband, it's necessary to use a full 4th order (24dB/octave) active Linkwitz-Riley crossover. A simple (generally passive) 2nd order (12dB/octave) crossover is simply not sufficient; the overlap is excessive.

Is a 12dB/octave crossover better than nothing? Well, probably; but why compromise unless there's a cost-related cause.

"To OPTIMALLY separate the (low bass) subwoofer passband from the (mid-bass) main woofer passband, it’s necessary to use a full 4th order (24dB/octave) active Linkwitz-Riley crossover."

How do you know? Are you taking into account the rolloff inherent in the main speakers, and its accompanying phase shift? If so, what frequency and what slope is it? How much phase shift does it contribute? Well the answer is... IT DEPENDS!

The real world is far more complicated than your "one size fits all" claim implies. 

I certainly do not agree with your claim that a 4th order LR crossover is "necessary".

And out in the real world, my second order highpass + the speaker’s inherent rolloff will usually (but not always) come closer to a 4th order acoustic slope than what you are suggesting (4th order highpass + the speaker’s inherent rolloff).

"A simple (generally passive) 2nd order (12dB/octave) crossover is simply not sufficient; the overlap is excessive."

If there does happen to be some overlap, you have more than enough adjustability in the amp’s lowpass filter section to deal with it: Phase, frequency, gain, and if necessary a parametric EQ. Low-frequency speaker systems in rooms are minimum-phase systems, which means that once you get the amplitude response right, the time-domain response is also right. And the amp has the tools needed to do that in the crossover region.

"Is a 12dB/octave crossover better than nothing? Well, probably; but why compromise unless there’s a cost-related cause."

Yes in the Swarm I’m trying to keep bang-for-the-buck fairly high. There is always some improvement that can be made for more money, so these sorts of things are judgment calls. I don’t think it would be a wise investment for me to have custom subwoofer amps made, but if I did, I’d look into parts quality in the highpass section before I opted for a steeper slope (or ideally, a variable slope).

Nobody is obligated to buy the subwoofer amp that I offer. Anyone can buy just the subs and provide their own amplifier and filtering.

Duke

One thing to be aware of is that the sub will not add clarity to the main speakers unless the sub or the preamp provides a high pass filter to them, blocking out the bass that is now to be handled by the sub.  Otherwise you're just adding murk to the low end.

Also, if your room is small, chances are you don't need a subwoofer at all.  The addition of one will muddy up the sound and probably activate room nodes that will devastate the imaging and sound balance of your speakers.