will a receiver upgrade make a enough difference

I am wondering with my setup if I would really notice the difference in upgrading receivers. Currently I have an older model Mitsubishi pro-logic receiver. I am looking at upgrading to a DD, DTS/ES.... receiver. With my current mid to low-fi speakers will I notice the difference in sound?

My speakers include:
Mission towers (M73) fronts
Polk Monitor CS100 center
Sony SA-WM500 subwoofer
Bose AM 5 satellites rear

Would upgrading my receiver make a noticeable difference in sound, or is it something that I wouldn't notice too much with those speakers?
commissar

Showing 1 response by rich3549

Hello,

For my home theatre system- I just change from an Onkyo Pro-logic unit to a Yamaha RXV 730 (it has dd and dts - this unit runs for around 430-599). It was a big postive difference for movies. I have a five channel Adcom amp doing the work for both systems and the speakers have remained constant.

The Yamaha makes movies much fun. The channel seperation from dd is very much noticable.

The Yamaha without the Adcom is a step down. The internal amp is supposed to be 75X5, but that is measured one channel at a time. I think the amp is only around <25 watts when all 5 channels are running.

You will have to move up the more upscale receivers (BK,Arcam, the big Denons, Yamaha etc.) Before you get the power needed.

For Audio, moderate priced receivers
will show you their problems. My Yamaha is a bit veiled. For audio, seperates are they way to go.

Will you notice dd with the speakers you have? The answer should be a resounding "yes." Having dd will give you the discrete channel seperation needed for movies.

Good luck and happy listening.