Will a new sub sound better than my Velodyne F1200?

For music only...

I have a Velodyne F1200 (early 1990s model) and I have a Velodyne SMS-1 parametric EQ driving it. The F1200 is a sealed 12 inch servo sub. I think it's limited to 125W or so. 

Does anyone know how a new non-servo sealed sub like the HSU ULS-15 MK2 would compare at normal volumes (85db peaks)? 

I feel like my system is lacking punch and speed with the kick drum... it's a little slow a fat sounding, even though I've got my phase and equalization dialed in. One thought I have is that the SMS-1 adds a delay, and I'm assuming a servo sub might add even more delay, so even though phase is ok in the crossover region, the sub could be behind quite a bit in time. In fact, the sub is farther away than the mains by a couple feet, which may compound the problem.

I'm assuming the punch from a kick drum should be mostly sub, or is that up above 80hz?

sboje

Showing 2 responses by dan6054

I'v used the Velodyne F1500 for 25 years for movies.
The F1500 uses a 15 inch woofer and a built in amp.
My system is Canton Ergo 90 speakers, Canton center channel and Canton rear channel.  The F1500 is an amazing sub.   I wouldn't use it for music, but for movies its incredible.  I bought it in 1992 in Harvey's electronics in NY.
I remember Harvey's would play the Infinity SSW-210 Sub which was Infinity's top Servo sub for movies back in 1992.  The infinity SSW-210 used two 10 inch woofers and a built in 250 watt amp. 
The infinity was good for movies, but the Velodyne was superior for movies.  

The only problem with the F1500 and F1200 Velodyne completely abandoned any support for their early drivers that were made in house.
I never heard the F1200, but i know it was the Velodyne sub below the F1500
If its anything like the F1500, it should be good for movies. 
My only regret was i should have bought a backup 15 inch woofer for the F1500. 

sboje if your looking to use the Velodyne F1200 for music, i wouldn't recommend it.  These Velodyne subs from the early 90s were mainly for movies.