Wide baffle speakers are better than narrow

I'm just putting out some facts here so no one gets further misguided.

Wide baffle speakers sound much better, more natural and bring the acoustics of the recording venue with them.

Narrow baffle speakers are not as good without significant room treatment.

I'm glad no one here disagrees.
erik_squires

Showing 9 responses by tomic601

@wolf_garcia i like spam !!!! I have a couple of microphones that will work, now what shape head ? I think Jimi would be good... tune up your axe
And the LS3/5a or Kef 101, Linn Kan , those are the BBC ( or near ) standard imaging kings....and natural vocals...

Yes large drivers do act as moving baffles with the added attraction of even more distotion... hence the curve linear and other exotic cone shapes... none of which are pistonic....

quiz time : what is the name for distortion caused by the moving baffle ? This is why each and every 3 way and up Vandersteen uses a 5” ish midrange and another reason why frequency to baffle relationships matter

oh where oh where are the legendary KEF and B&W designers that built the low diffraction heads on the flagships ????!
But the physics of a large baffle are pretty clear:

constructive and destructive interference average out peaks and dips in frequency response

they are louder aka more efficient, stick em in a corner for MAX effect....

they destroy time and phase information and are therefore lossy
And it would be more correct to specify baffle dimensions relative to wavelength, not some arbitrary number....
And a moving head made of soft flesh, diffusing hair, reflective glasses, Wild abandon... dang my Tympani sounds too small now....
Super linear constructive and destructive interference amplitude averaging machine.
super terrible time and phase deconstruction machine.
also the flat baffle is a flat horn aka the room up close, writ large. The big negative curved Infinity baffle is a special case and a special speaker and a bearcat to integrate with the room, the bass towers - could be maddening, ask me how I know.... we sold everything but IRS