Why will no other turntable beat the EMT 927?

Having owned many good turntables in my audiophile life I am still wondering why not one of the modern designs of the last 20 years is able to beat the sound qualities of an EMT 927.
New designs may offer some advantages like multiple armboards, more than one motor or additional vibration measurements etc. but regarding the sound quality the EMT is unbeatable!
What is the real reason behind this as the machine is nearly 60 years old, including the pre-versions like the R-80?
thuchan
So, did you exchange the original Ortofon RF297 arm for an EMT RF297? What don't I understand?  My only point was and is that there is in reality no such thing as a "mono" tonearm, provided one is willing to re-wire.  I would have guessed that re-wiring is less expensive than doing an exchange with a dealer, tonearm for tonearm.  That was my secondary point.
Paul,

I agree with lewm, there is no reason to discard the arm.  Rewire if necessary but if the bearings are good I would use it.  I used the 3012 because I had it.  It worked fine, just not the best choice.  The 997 would be better, because it is better.

My modest vintage hifi is in a nice cabinet in my living room.  The broadcast 927 was just too big and industrial looking.  I had considered trying a smaller EMT, but I don’t think anything would be like the 927.  

The biggest thing  with my 927 was taking the motor apart and cleaning and lubing.  The motor was a little noisy when I first got the turntable. After it was restored it was very quite.  
I didn’t even need to repaint mine.  The enamel paint was so thick it would take a hammer swing to mar it.  It was soiled, as was the entire turntable.  The platter bearing is huge, and was perfect.  My bearing was oil based, but I have heard that some are also grease fitted.  (Like Garrard).  

I also had the glass platter.  Some are fitted with persplex.  
The only other turntable that has impressed me so much was the Rockport Sirius III, which a client of mine owns.  I wish I could  have heard them side by side.

I also had the broadcast frame.  My frame was spring loaded, so you could jump and the turntable wouldn’t move.  The frame is designed to sit into a console  which if you have the room I would recommend.

The TSD cartridge makes sense.  EMT and Ortofon has many high mass choices.  I also used my Decca Red which worked well.  
If you have space, this is a no compromise turntable.  

I wasn't planning on selling mine.  A fellow agon member asked to hear it.  Afterward, what he offered me on the spot was about three and a half times what I had into it.  So, reluctantly I sold it.

As I said, I miss it everyday.  Eckart has some incredible turntables, but if his system were mine, I would sell them all and keep the EMT.

Norman
Have a look at the differences in the two arms supplied with the EMT 927 before they started making the 997. Part of the problem with the RF 297 is it is a heavier arm then the RMA 297 and it may not balance the TSD carts as well as the TSD.
http://www.stefanopasini.it/EMT927-930%20Ortofon%20arms.htm
The biggest thing  with my 927 was taking the motor apart and cleaning and lubing.  The motor was a little noisy when I first got the turntable. After it was restored it was very quite.  
I didn’t even need to repaint mine.  The enamel paint was so thick it would take a hammer swing to mar it.  It was soiled, as was the entire turntable.  The platter bearing is huge, and was perfect.  My bearing was oil based, but I have heard that some are also grease fitted.  (Like Garrard).      

Mine is in very good shape cosmetically.  I would rate it an 8 out of 10.  It has a suspension frame too.  I want to do a good cleaning,  dismantle the motor to clean and lube and then install the new motor mounts.  I have a local tech who will most likely handle the powersupply electronics replacing caps etc...
 The resurrection of this thread prompted me to take a look at current values of an EMT 927. I was surprised to find that asking prices of examples that are for sale range from about $5000 US to about $40,000 US. Samples in the latter category of course are beautifully and immaculately restored. But samples that are in the low-end of the price range don’t look so bad either. What’s up with that vast difference in pricing?