Why will no other turntable beat the EMT 927?

Having owned many good turntables in my audiophile life I am still wondering why not one of the modern designs of the last 20 years is able to beat the sound qualities of an EMT 927.
New designs may offer some advantages like multiple armboards, more than one motor or additional vibration measurements etc. but regarding the sound quality the EMT is unbeatable!
What is the real reason behind this as the machine is nearly 60 years old, including the pre-versions like the R-80?
thuchan

Showing 8 responses by pcosta

Why do these comparisons always have to be so fair.  An EMT 927 usually only is seen with the ORTOFON RF 297 ,the RMA 297 or the EMT 997.  So that means usually with a TSD 15.
The EMT is a system with or without their phono.  
So whats wrong with saying EMT 927 as a whole is better or preferred over the Clearaudio Statement which usually as "system" with their linear tracking arm.  A listener can't make that statement without validity since the arms and carts or phono is not the same?

I just got myself a EMT 927 of my own,  and have yet to listen to it.  It needs a little TLC to get it "working" at its best.  But to still have people to reach out to and get parts and service for a product this old is wonderful.

Norman
My 927 came with a Ortofon RF 297 arm.  I was told by the people at Dusch in Germany it was made for mono use and I would be better off with a RMA 297 or the EMT 997 arms to use with the TSD cartridges.  I am not sure what I want to put there.  Dusch offered me an exchange for a 997.  
I will most likely send them my 139st to have look at and make sure it is operating at its best.  
I want to mount a second arm on mine like Eckart(thuchan) did with his,  I just need to fabricate something.

Too bad you couldn't keep you EMT.  
Any advice from anyone is always greatly appreciated.

Paul

The biggest thing  with my 927 was taking the motor apart and cleaning and lubing.  The motor was a little noisy when I first got the turntable. After it was restored it was very quite.  
I didn’t even need to repaint mine.  The enamel paint was so thick it would take a hammer swing to mar it.  It was soiled, as was the entire turntable.  The platter bearing is huge, and was perfect.  My bearing was oil based, but I have heard that some are also grease fitted.  (Like Garrard).      

Mine is in very good shape cosmetically.  I would rate it an 8 out of 10.  It has a suspension frame too.  I want to do a good cleaning,  dismantle the motor to clean and lube and then install the new motor mounts.  I have a local tech who will most likely handle the powersupply electronics replacing caps etc...
Lewm

My EMT RF 297 is already wired for stereo with the 4 pin diamond EMT pattern connector.

Have a look at the differences in the two arms supplied with the EMT 927 before they started making the 997. Part of the problem with the RF 297 is it is a heavier arm then the RMA 297 and it may not balance the TSD carts as well as the TSD.
http://www.stefanopasini.it/EMT927-930%20Ortofon%20arms.htm
I think the low end is very exaggerated and probably a scam.  Pricing also depends on which 927 it is.  ST is most common.  There are D version with the glass platter  and F version which has two arms on the chassis, those two you don't see as many.  Then there is the R80 which preceded the 927 which very low numbers were made.  
Options on the tables also affects value,  if it has a phono either the early tubed mono phono which is desirable or the stereo tubed phono.  Then you have the SS phono which is less desirable.  If it has the groove indicator,  the quick stop for the platter, the suspension frame,  which arm,  and general condition.  
EMT's are rare but not unicorn rare.  There are many always available if you want to pay.
The great this is you can still get great support from multiple sources with parts and expertise.
Lewm

I am taking a sonic chance on the EMT 927.  I really don't know what I am getting into as far as the sonic ability's of these big turntables.  I had to sell my former turntable to help afford the EMT.  Buying this was a opportunity that didn't allow much time for hesitation,  but I was able to inspect it in the flesh.  The seller was not willing to ship and I was close enough to make the drive and see it.  So less risk of a scam or any misrepresentation of the unit.  The odds of being able to see one so close to me were low and to see one in Canada and not having to bring the thing across the border or ship was another bonus.  
I could only use the online "hype" of the EMT to help me this purchase.   The risks are low, at least from any financial loss at the price I paid for mine.  It wasn't cheap, but not $40K US.  I was able to buy mine in CND $.   I have had a least a couple of "if you don't want it,  I will take it" emails.
I am preparing my EMT 927 to go back to it's homeland of Germany to spend some time at the Dusch family spa for a good tune up.  I initially planned to overhaul the unit myself but time and real EMT knowledge are lacking on my part compared to the experts.