Why the fascination with subwoofers?

I have noticed many posts with questions about adding subwoofers to an audio system. Why the fascination with subwoofers? I guess I understand why any audiophile would want to hear more tight bass in their audio system, but why add a subwoofer to an existing audio system when they don’t always perform well, are costly, and are difficult to integrate with the many varied speakers offered. Additionally, why wouldn’t any audiophile first choose a speaker with a well designed bass driver designed, engineered and BUILT INTO that same cabinet? If anyone’s speakers were not giving enough tight bass, why wouldn’t that person sell those speakers and buy a pair that does have tight bass?
128x1282psyop
@gdnrbob 
I am glad you are considering the Vandy subs.
Hi Bob, you responded to a second post that wasn't clear on its own.
I am not considering Vandy subs but rather I considered the Vandy M7-HP passive crossover, which costs about $2,500.  I probably would have already tried it except my main speakers do great bass (twin 9-inch woofers in a sealed, i.e., acoustic suspension, enclosure) down to about 40 Hz, so I really need to cross over lower than the fixed 100 Hz design of the Vandersteen passive crossover.  Currently, I am using twin Aerial SW-12 subs which sound great and utilize a remote control that can be used to easily adjust the output level for different recordings. 

I am considering adding a third SW-12 sub to the existing two, which are operated as single stereo channels and are placed in the front corners outside of my main speakers.  I will place the third sub along the rear wall or in one of the rear corners outputting a summed bass signal.  I cross them over between 40-45 Hz and keep my baseline output level (0 position) at a low'ish level to just fill in the lowest frequencies rather than to "shake the building."  IMO, if subs sound bad, this is where most sub users have made the mistake - the level is too high. I sold bass reflex (i.e., ported) speakers that went lower but excited room vibrations on about half of the recordings I listen to.  Adding one sub did not correct that situation but switching to speakers only going down to about 40 Hz and adding two subs absolutely corrected it.  Bass is now solid and controlled and rarely interacts with the room.

If I were starting over, and didn't already own the Aerial subs, I would look very hard at Duke's Audiokinesis Swarm Subwoofer System (four subs) as a reasonably priced alternative to obtain great bass.
Many do try to do just that. Look around however, it quickly becomes very obvious the hardest most expensive thing you can find is two quality speakers with true 20 Hz bass. They essentially do not exist. Turns out (read on) that for reasons of physics they cannot exist. Which is why they don’t.
@millercarbon
This statement appears to be false.

My speakers at home are made by Classic Audio Loudspeakers. They are the model T-3.3.

They have a pair of 15" woofers. One of the them is the TAD 1602, which has a free air resonance of 21 Hz. Are you really trying to say that a speaker like that in a properly tuned bass reflex cabinet (my speakers are the size of refrigerators) can't go to 20Hz?? They seem to have plenty of undistorted output at 20Hz in my room.

There are phase reasons to use subs but anyone who has to ask this question is not an audiophile anyway, and this poster is only baiting and so one worm is all you get...
Great subject. Right now I am in the process of doing room treatment and my bass sounds great. But I will still add 2 subs. I have demoed a few in my room and they really open things up.  My mains have excellent base, but the lowest of frequencies are missed and I want them also. Thanks for all the info, helps alot.
++++on adding subs.
I have one of my subs near a wall and under a window in my listening room, and when I want sound on the deck I put a pair of speakers in the windows with that sub. The deck specific speakers (old KEF Q10s...great sounding things) are powered by a separate amp (a trusty 100 watt Adcom) getting its signal from the main preamp, and the sub's signal is from the indoor mains little tube amp so I have to turn the window sub up a little...I have a volume control on the outdoor amp as it's way hotter than the indoor speaker's amp...all of this works very well, and unlike mapman I get my deck bass goin' which is good for the plants and lets my neighbors know I'm having more fun than they are.