Why the facination with integrated amps?

I don’t get it. Is it the manufacturers spotting a trend with the tail wagging the dog or does a significant market segment truly prefer the idea of an integrated?
Pros;
Less space
One less set of IC’s
In theory-one less chassis/case to pay for
Shorter signal paths possible
Can combine transformer/cap function
Cons;
Power supply interference/spuriae
Reduced Flexibility-can’t switch amp or preamp as easily or go to monoblocs
Less resonance control
Long history of lesser performance per measurements and long-term subjective listening
Less resale value if it turns out to be a fad
Less liklihood of an extremely high performing active preamp

I freely admit I am a skeptic. The industry-like so many others-looks for new market niches to move product. 
FWIW, the only integrateds I myself would care to audition would be from Esoteric and Luxman who have a long history of designing no-compromise (low-compromise) high-end integrateds. 

128x128fsonicsmith
Yeah, if you think you need high quality active preamp better go with separates, I guess. Would Diablo's power amp section equal or outperform any separate power amp in most cases within this price range ? That's an interesting question. Theoretically, one can add separate active preamp to Gryphon, let's say tube preamp, if they electrically match well. Adding separate tube pieces to Diablo, phono and active preamp, and see what happens would be true audiophile experimentation.
fsonicsmith
excellent query with corresponding Pros and Cons accordingly.I believe that it is fair to report that in 2019, the Integrated Amp, has become a strong competitor to Separates. No doubt that some audio manufacturers build Reference quality products currently. Add a little advanced technology by way of a DAC or server/streamer capabilities, one can be musically rewarded. Last year, I had the aural pleasure of auditioning the Anthem STR integrated amp. This year, so far, I have had  the aural pleasure of auditioning an AYRE AX-5 Twenty integrated amp. Both are very musical, the AYRE, moreso as reflected in its price.  I am going to take a second demo with the AYRE. I never thought I would ever consider an integrated amp?
Happy Listening!
I, the OP, am not only aware of wine analogies, but also bicycle analogies. The bicycle industry came up with the idea of compact frames (sloped top tubes for those that don't know bikes) so that instead of needing to manufacture ten frame sizes in 1 cm increments they could instead accommodate 98% of the population with a S, M, L, and XL. This behooved the industry, not the consumer. But consumers were sold on looks and false claims of increased rigidity and speed. Every three or four years the bicycle industry comes up with a new "flavor of the month" to seduce the gullible into ditching what they have and replacing it with the new "best". Aero, integrated brakes, disc brakes, elastomer suspended forks and rear-triangles etc. etc. etc. I, being a skeptic, don't claim to be right, but only offer the humble suggestion that integrated amps are a solution for a problem that never was. Whatever is old is new again. A Krell integrated graced the cover of Stereophile 25 years ago with the immortal caption, "What the Krell?". It failed on measurements and consumer satisfaction despite delivering name cache combined with lower price. Can an integrated offer state of the art sound? Unquestionably yes. Is the fact that every major manufacturer and their sister is offering an integrated a sell-job by the industry? IMHO, unquestionably yes. 
"The bicycle industry came up with the idea of compact frames (sloped top tubes for those that don't know bikes) so that instead of needing to manufacture ten frame sizes in 1 cm increments they could instead accommodate 98% of the population with a S, M, L, and XL. This behooved the industry, not the consumer. But consumers were sold on looks and false claims of increased rigidity and speed. Every three or four years the bicycle industry comes up with a new "flavor of the month" to seduce the gullible into ditching what they have and replacing it with the new "best". Aero, integrated brakes, disc brakes, elastomer suspended forks and rear-triangles etc. etc. etc."

fsonicsmith-

Riding a size appropriate compact frame is more efficient. The smaller frame is more rigid and lighter, and handling is more precise, compared to the antiquated traditional design. 

Just like audio, the price of admission can make your blood pressure rise. 
Here's a bargain model. No disc brakes. 
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/pinarello-dogma-f10-sram-red-etap-complete-road-bike-2017?ti=Ojox...

If I were buying at this level, I wouldn't even consider standard brakes. I've got the fitness level, but no wallet!

Figure another $2-3K for appropriate attire-you're not gonna be caught on something like that with a hack,el cheapo kit!

I went compact/carbon  13 years ago. Never going back to a traditional frame.
Still like an old steel Italian classic, but their heavy and sloppy(compared to something modern) 

The thing about the high end bike-you still have to pedal the damn thing!

"Is the fact that every major manufacturer and their sister is offering an integrated a sell-job by the industry?"

In fact, is the fact that every major manufacturer and their sister is offering separates a sell-job by the industry that tries to sell us two items instead of one? That may be a new thread on Audiogon.

Every manufacturer, or at least a significant number of them was offering an integrated years and years ago. They did not invent it this year, or the last. They have improved them over the decades that they have been selling integrated amplifiers and they would like to sell them now, too. You have to forgive them that. That is their job and not a global conspiracy.

As it is obvious from this thread and for a number of reasons, many people are welcoming the opportunity to buy an integrated amplifier.

Someone messed up my bicycle. It clearly says XL but has no sloped top tube.