Why so many JL Audio Fathom subs for sale I wonder

Just mulling some thoughts around about JL Audio subwoofers. Been thinking of adding one, maybe 2 to my system. They are awesome subs and come highly reviewed in the Absolute Sound, and Stereophile. Recommended components, powerful as hell, accurate, flexible...all very positive attributes. I have a few friends that own F112's, F113's.
So why do so many of them show up for sale here on A-gon? I'de like to get some input from A-gon members as to why that might be? Seems baffling that something so highly regarded and affordable ends up for sale so often. Thoughts anyone?
martinmobile

Showing 2 responses by jp1208

I had them as independent at one point when running Ming Da pre and two Linn Klouts. Things changed and now they are running together through a modified Onkyo reciever. Running the ARO as separate or in master didn't seem to make that much difference in my room so I set the left as the master.

After listening to all the JL's and reading about multiple subs vs. single subs I just felt that two F113's placed right next to each main made sense. I ran this by a factory rep and he said either two F212's or two F113's in my room should work well. Two F212's were out of the question.

In the demo room the differences were minor until you started running into the 90db range and this is where two F113's started to shine over the one F212. Just a stronger grip over all and a little more slam. They were both crossed at 80hz, eq set to zero on pre with -3db on 25hz and lower. Volume was set to ref and the two F113's could have been dialed back slightly.

The stage these produce is pretty stunning so either way you decide should work very well.