Why so many amplifiers for sale?

I remember not so long ago when these things were the hot ticket item, touted by all the reviewers as the next-big-thing, giant-killer, blah blah blah. Once again, all of the hype proves to be just that, and now I count literally hundreds of them for sale. So what's the deal? Nobody likes amplifiers anymore? Moving onto some other world beater of a component, I suppose? Go on, tell me it's just because so many of them were sold, hence the vast sea of available product on the used marketplace. I don't buy it. Just like everything else, they've come and gone. Their fifteen minutes of fame are now over. CD players, too. Have you seen how many of those are up for sale? Tossed into the classifieds like a weathered mistress. I knew it was coming, and that's why I've been sticking to singing in the shower. None of this fly-by-night hobby plunging for me. I'm much too smart to get caught up in that.

And by the way, am I still in business? I've been e-mailing myself all week, and get no response.
128x128boa2

Showing 1 response by m297904

Because:
1. They can
2. There really is not much difference and they're trying the next latest fashion - yesterday it was Chinese amps, today it's digital amps, tomorrow it's ...
3. They are actually making money on it! The audiophile stereo business has such a massive markup - You can buy a brand new amp (with warranty etc etc) from a dealer who cuts you a good deal, use it for 6-9 months and turn around and sell it for more than what they paid for it.
4. They need the money
5. They don't need the extra system after all (and their "significant other" is ready to kill them for spending thousands of dollars for something they can get at Circuit City for a hundred bucks).

The trick here is to sell your stuff before it goes out of "style" and then buy it back a year later for a fraction of what you sold it for;-)