Why Power Cables Affect Sound

I just bought a new CD player and was underwhelmed with it compared to my cheaper, lower quality CD player. That’s when it hit me that my cheaper CD player is using an upgraded power cable. When I put an upgraded power cable on my new CD player, the sound was instantly transformed: the treble was tamed, the music was more dynamic and lifelike, and overall more musical. 

This got me thinking as to how in the world a power cable can affect sound. I want to hear all of your ideas. Here’s one of my ideas:

I have heard from many sources that a good power cable is made of multiple gauge conductors from large gauge to small gauge. The electrons in a power cable are like a train with each electron acting as a train car. When a treble note is played, for example, the small gauge wires can react quickly because that “train” has much less mass than a large gauge conductor. If you only had one large gauge conductor, you would need to accelerate a very large train for a small, quick treble note, and this leads to poor dynamics. A similar analogy might be water in a pipe. A small pipe can react much quicker to higher frequencies than a large pipe due to the decreased mass/momentum of the water in the pipe. 

That’s one of my ideas. Now I want to hear your thoughts and have a general discussion of why power cables matter. 

If you don’t think power cables matter at all, please refrain from derailing the conversation with antagonism. There a time and place for that but not in this thread please. 
128x128mkgus
@gpgr4blu  

I wont argue about what someone else hears or doesn’t hear, but: 

limited universe of existing measurements that don’t come close to measuring all aspects of human hearing

I find this interesting. What do you think measurements can’t capture? I’m not talking preferences, but simply measuring: frequency response, THD, IMD, dynamic compression/linearity, crosstalk, channel mismatch, phase mismatch, noise floor, impulse, spectral decay, etc.
@mzkmxcv:
Timbre, texture of sound, the presence or absence of easily heard vs buried microdynamics in a passage, imaging and, most importantly, whether the music sounds natural and rhythmic and engages one emotionally or is presented in a mechanical and metronomic fashion. Indeed, we only have measurements for characteristics of sound which are within our knowledge. Not to dismiss measurements. They are important--for example I don't think an amp can sound good if it measures poorly, but an amp that measures well doesn't necessarily sound good at all. 

I do find it interesting that we have not yet learned to take measurements and from those measurements tell if a piece of equipment will sound good to the ear. All good audio designers know this. You use objective science to get close to what you want in a power amp design, for example, and then you tweak and trial and error to voice the thing to sound great. For example, you might experiment with the types of caps, play around with surface mount or through-hole mounting, types of internal wiring and solder, or consider adding tubes. Tubes, for example, do nothing to improve the measurements - they add distortion - but there is a reason many of the best preamps ever made use tubes. They sound good, and you will not arrive at that conclusion by looking at measurements. You just have to listen. 

Thanks for the response.

Timbre

Timbre is harmonics (overtones), this is easily seen by inputting a signal and seeing what the FFT/distortion graph looks like. I personally believe that no gear should have timbre, it should only be transparent and accurately reproduce the timbre of the instruments in the recording. Of course most speakers have timbre, but any expensive solid-state amp, DAC, or preamp that is competent will not have audible distortion/timbre.

Texture of the sound

Not sure what this actually means, so no answer.

the presence or absence of easily heard vs buried microdynamics in a passage

This is how “quick” the gear is. This would be the impulse response and the spectral decay/energy-time curve.

imaging

For speakers, it’s how the off-axis frequency response is in relation to the on-axis. If you look at the Lateral response graph done by Stereophile, the Vivid Audio Giya G3 for instance have amazing imaging, even at 90° it’s almost identical (the soundstage is super wide too though, so room treatment would be recommended). For amps, DACs, and preamps, this is the channel separation (crosstalk), channel amplitude mismatch, and channel phase mismatch.

whether the music sounds natural

I’d say the more transparent the more natural, unless you are implying the recording themselves don’t sound natural. As I’ve said though, blind-studies have shown we pretty much all like the same things, but the factor of how much bass and treble we like is a tad different, the amount of bass an audio engineer likes (pretty much no boost) is much lower than the amount of bass the average joe off the street likes, which is about 6dB more. However, the preferences of a smooth frequency response with the best imaging, with low distortion/resonances, etc. can be treated as identical.

rhythmic

I’d say this is the same as microdynamics, unless your defitnion is different than mine.

engages one emotionally or is presented in a mechanical and metronomic fashion

Come on dude, what does this even mean? I bet playing Sinatra’s ‘My Way’ on my car’s setup to my NY Italian relatives would be more emotionally engaging than any demo song played on a pair of Revel Ultima Salon2’s being powered by MarkLevinson gear.

The one thing I can tell you, which is a fact, is that even if you picked one speaker as a winner in a double-blind listening test, no one can tell you if you will like it sighted, as the brand, looks, and price all are factors, even if we try to disregard them. One of the tests Toole did was compare some nice looking tower speakers to a bookshelf+sub system that was much cheaper and plastic, and once the reviewers could see the product, they actually rated the sound quality as being worse.

Since no one listens blind, this is why I always suggest in-home demos/trials, and too look for companies that allow you to do so without charging insane return/restocking fees. Doesn’t matter if it’s the “best” speaker in the world, if it’s from a no-name brand, is not expensive as you thought, and is ugly, you likely won’t buy it.

Post removed