Why Power Cables Affect Sound

I just bought a new CD player and was underwhelmed with it compared to my cheaper, lower quality CD player. That’s when it hit me that my cheaper CD player is using an upgraded power cable. When I put an upgraded power cable on my new CD player, the sound was instantly transformed: the treble was tamed, the music was more dynamic and lifelike, and overall more musical. 

This got me thinking as to how in the world a power cable can affect sound. I want to hear all of your ideas. Here’s one of my ideas:

I have heard from many sources that a good power cable is made of multiple gauge conductors from large gauge to small gauge. The electrons in a power cable are like a train with each electron acting as a train car. When a treble note is played, for example, the small gauge wires can react quickly because that “train” has much less mass than a large gauge conductor. If you only had one large gauge conductor, you would need to accelerate a very large train for a small, quick treble note, and this leads to poor dynamics. A similar analogy might be water in a pipe. A small pipe can react much quicker to higher frequencies than a large pipe due to the decreased mass/momentum of the water in the pipe. 

That’s one of my ideas. Now I want to hear your thoughts and have a general discussion of why power cables matter. 

If you don’t think power cables matter at all, please refrain from derailing the conversation with antagonism. There a time and place for that but not in this thread please. 
128x128mkgus
Post removed 
▲▲▲▲
It's unfortunate that even after a warning here from the moderator, users like me can't report a preference and positive experience with premium power cords without being subject to such a juvenile, profane, ignorant and antagonistic response as this.
I prefer premium power cords, period. It's a preference that doesn't require defense, and shouldn't be subject to smarmy derision.
This is a forum, and contrary views advance the debate. Forums invite debate and unless the form violates the rules, even this form of disagreement serves its purpose. It’s a tough world. Sometimes you will even hear rough language. 🙀

Remember Jonathan Swift?
edstrelow21 posts12-21-2018 3:00amThere is a lot of confusion here between theories and evidence.

>>>There certainly is. But the confusion is not really between theories and evidence, it’s between proof and evidence. There is also confusion regarding test results, whether they represent proof or evidence, between mathematical proof and scientific proof, and even confusion regarding what constitutes empirical evidence. There is also confusion regarding why a negative test result does not (rpt not) overturn a theory, which is often claimed for controversial audio devices.

edstrelow
Merely having a plausible explanation for some phenomenon does not mean it is a correct explanation of that phenomenon, e.g. a suggestion that good cables have less susceptibility to electrical fields around them. Such an explanation requires a measurement to show such reduced susceptibility of that specific cable.

>>>>>Actually measurement is not proof, it is only evidence of a theory. And lack of measurements does not disprove the theory. Listening tests are evidence, just like measurements, but not proof. Measurements can be deceiving, for example amplifiers with very low THD Total Harmonic Distortion can sound subjectively worse than amplifiers with much higher (orders of magnitude) THD. Another example: silver measures somewhat better conductivity than copper but can often sound worse subjectively than copper in audio applications.

edstrelow
Then you need some proof that this interference or reduced interference is what people are actually responding to as an improvement in sound quality, possibly by adding and subtracting such interference to audio signals and seeing what people report.

>>>>>As I said there can be no proof, only evidence. People are thus put in the often uncomfortable position of having to decide what’s going on by looking at the evidence and seeing if there is a preponderance of the evidence, there may or may not be. C’est la vie!
Haven't tried upgraded cables, but I know that when I added Furman power/line conditioners to my system the difference was quite noticeable. I'd think anything that is better at getting juice to your components, or getting a cleaner, more stable supply, is going to affect sound somewhat.

It seems like the meta-argument around all this is "how much"---how big is the difference, and what's the upper limit of reasonable cost for improved performance? I wouldn't spend more than $50-100 as a test for my mid-range AVR, but if I upgrade to higher end Naim gear I might double that amount and see.