Why no interest in reel to reel if you're looking for the ultimate sound?

Wondering why more people aren't into reel to reel if they're looking for the ultimate analog experience? I know title selection is limited and tapes are really expensive, but there are more good tapes available now than ever before.
People refer to a recording as having "master tape quality",  well you can actually hear that master tape sound through your own system and the point of entry to reel to reel is so much more affordable than getting into vinyl.  Thoughts? 
scar972

Showing 11 responses by tomic601

@topoxforddoc beyond your interesting moniker here, a great post !!!! Lots of things to glean for sure, thanks
jim
Get a B-77 and an Opus 3 sampler and you will know :-)
or a great DAC and server
or a superb TT

enjoy all three

peace
Bottle head DIY has pretty much all the info you might need on bypass of head electronics on the deck and can often result in a dramatic improvement as cited above
@clio09 thanks for sharing RM :-) you could do that every day and get no complaints from me

was RM using the Sony for music or ???
@hypoman right on, have yet to meet a zoom product that sounds bad and does not provide shocking value.

i built an Anvil case for rack mount B-77 Mk3, and all the other claptrap... oh the days of A-77 with the built in carry handle

Much of Nebraska was recorded on the Tascam Cassette Porta Studio. ( I owned one ) One of the reasons I advocate serious audiophiles make live music recordings is to discern merits and - of format, mixer, cable, microphone, microphone preamp, etc....

of course Nebraska perfectly suited to the Tascam 
I would add and amend my earlier comment to high speed, half track and IEC EQ
Ya @hypoman real world experience w Studer Revox !!!!

do you have the zoom ? I love mine
For something more recent in a d2d I would recommend Eleanor McEvoy- Forgotten Dreams

it well illustrates the challenges even relatively simple mixes pose to artists trying the D2D route.

@bdp24 i always enjoy your posts:-) best to you. Was thinking about you and the Nak today. Be well
The Sheffield D2D also include some smoking hot horn work by Harry James - strongly recommended 

While not to everyone taste, the artist in question is Dave Grusin - certainly a guy with chops. I would ignore the ego trip peanut gallery.
The kick A tapes start at half track high speed and IMO a B-77 Mk3 with some mods. I have two. There are of course other decks. Service is sparse and getting worse unless you live in the three remaking tape Mecca: LA , NYC, Nashville, maybe Memphis...

the LiL A-77 can as Eric notes be formidable- a few well chosen mics, small really transparent mixer ... and you might end up w The Band backing Dylan on the Basement tapes.

it is actually a critical listening path I recommend, but ya need a budget, a few really good microphones and some vocal and or instrumental talent - make your own reference recordings and be there for the original event :-) get a good A to D ( Ayre made a superb one ) and you might able to speak w authority on digital vs tape.

have fun, enjoy the music.....