Why manufactures don´t burn in their amps and ...

give a good (or the "right") powercord with their amps?

I´m tired to hear "you must it burn in min. 200 hours" or "it will sound better with the right powercord".

It´s like selling a Porsche which you can drive the first 5.000 miles only with 20 mph and youself must look for the "right" tires.

???

Thomas
tje

Showing 4 responses by rodman99999

Most factors/dynamics(with the exception of speaker system drivers) that are involved in "burn-in" will also diminish with idle time, and require another burn-in period. If a manufacturer turned out 2000 amplifiers, and ran them the 200hrs, to their peak performance(burned-in) level, he'd then have to charge you a percentage of the electric bill. AND: By the time the unit was sold; (in most instances)It would require another burn-in. A waste of time and money(though SOME do burn-in their products). There are many differences in peoples' tastes regarding their music presentation, and various presentations that can be had via different power cords. How would a manufacturer know if what he provided would suit your tastes? Most of us would be rolling our PCs, still looking for that last drop of resolution, sound stage, impact, silence(or whatever) anyway. Why should they bother? Then there are many that can't hear a difference(regardless of how audible and obvious, to those that can), or are so convinced it won't make any difference; they refuse to hear any. I can easily understand why most manufacturers don't bother with burn-in or providing upgraded PCs.
Rleff- Once you've purchased a hi-end power cord(ie- Synergistic research AC Master Coupler, PS Audio XStream, Zu Mother- or better than those mentioned), and burned it in; you will understand the changes through which it will progress(the electrically biased ones excepted). That depends on the resolution of your system and your ability to discern the differences(system variances and aural acuity/training differences existing in so great a divergence).
Rleff- I used to own a pair of Acoustat Model IIIs, and was just recently wondering if I would have heard any difference with some of the PCs I've got now. The voltage that electrostatics use is charging the speaker's diaphragm/membrane, and not providing gain to any kind of signal. That's one of the very few applications in which I believe would be hard to discern an improvement(No experience/just a guess). Then again- I've heard that Martin-Logan CLS's can be improved via upgraded PCs. You could plug those Kimbers into the SoundLABs,(before using them on the monoblocks) as an experiment(I would).
You won't be hurting anyone but yourself, in having ripped yourself off for the musical rewards. Even the better recording studios have discovered the audible benefits of upgrading power cords/cables in the recording/mastering chain. I suppose that's just their imagination too?