Why Isnt Techincs 1200 Considered Audiophile?

Technics is known for its rock solid build quality low wow flutter, low noise rock steady speed, great torque and powerful motor so why isnt it given the accolades as a musical turntable?
vinny55
The 1200 is not a DJ table. It just has good Skookum. So DJ’s glom on to it.
As a past and present 1200 owner, I find this thread revealing.  There seems to be a definite bias against this turntable from a contingent of what I will call (for the convenience of this post) "true audiophiles."I became an audiophile the day I talked my parents into buying me an extension speaker (Realistic Solo 4) for my Panasonic portable radio/tape recorder.  I soon started buying records (which I had to play on my cardboard record player with ceramic needle). My Mom's furniture grade Silvertone console was off limits, but they saw my interest and got me a Garrard 55b and a Realistic receiver that came bundled with some rather remarkable B&O speakers for Christmas (around 1972).  When I went to college, I managed to scrape together enough money to buy a used Benjamin Miracord Elac which I mounted on 2x4s.  Ran that through a PAS 3x (I had to fix it, new tubes, bypassed the tone controls) Dynamo ST-70 (a kit I soldered together) and the B&Os.  I was able to trade something (which will remain nameless) for a Technics 1200.  I hung with a crowd that was anchored by a store in Urbana Illinois called Pro Musica.  We considered ourselves audiophiles.40 years and many turntables later, I was convinced by one of my old buddies (Geoff Poor/Glenn Poor's AV) to plunk some money down and wait several months for a new Technics 1200 GR.  I was initially turned off by the looks, but was impressed by the sound (we compared it to the twice as expensive 1200 G and couldn't tell much of a difference in sound, although the "G" does look cooler with the brass top plate).  Best turntable I've ever owned.  Audiophile quality?... by any measure I have a resounding YES!
I just purchased the 1210GR with a mofi MasterTracker cart and the performance is very satisfying.  I too was a little concerned about the DJ history since this was my first (well second because I returned the Rega P3 after 1 day)but reading all the reviews and listening to the recommendations of my dealer I have not been disappointed
This is an interesting topic. Here’s an observation.

My sl1200 mk2 vs $10,000 tt (you pick the model), I’m fine with mine being considered non-audiophile or not as musical.

What happens when a $50,000 tt (model picked by it’s passionate owner) joins the conversation? 

Is the $10,000 table still considered audiophile? Or musical?

I don’t think there is a correct answer, but my opinion is there are 
two main camps- 

Most gear below mine (investment wise) are not audiophile/ musical and those above are audio jewelry and really don’t offer substantial gain- 

or

Gear differs in musicality, there is no cutoff or magic number. We’re all working within a budget/ constraint/ preference that hopefully gives us enjoyment and return that justify our investment.

The best advice I have gained from these forums is from those in the second camp. 

Regards,
gary
Hello again, glupson - 
Sorry for any confusion.  While I do get a kick out of listening to old vinyl, the table isn't all that old.  Purchased in this century  :-) (around 2007 as I recall) from KAB Electro Acoustics.  If you have a vintage Technics table you'd like to get "tuned up", consider talking to Kevin at KAB.  
Link here:

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/

Apologies if I'm telling you something you already know.

I'm listening to that Mofi Mastertracker on my 1200 GR right now.  I bought the Mofi cartridge on the suggestion of my dealer without auditioning it first (not usual for me, but his advice has always been spot on).  There was little on the 'net about it.  I just took a chance, and was amply rewarded!  This is a very good cartridge, maybe not as revealing as the 2M black but perhaps a trifle easier on the ears and noticeably low surface noise.  I have compared it to a dozen or so cartridges on the 1200 GR, and while each cart has its pros and cons, this is the one that gets the most play.
I have no idea regarding the pedigree of this cartridge, but it does remind me somewhat of my AT 440 mlb, but smoother and less grain.  Sounds great with my Schiit Mani, but accommodates a better phono-pre nicely. Sounded fantastic through a Sutherland Insight, my Frankenstein PAS 3x (heavily modified and bypassed pre-amp gain stage) and an old Marantz 1200 (pre-out).  I have an Odyssey Suspiro on its way (mostly for MC), but I'm guessing this will be the cat's pajamas with the MasterTracker.
Since I have setup my Technics this morning and have listened to a couple of records. IMO; Ralph is being modest when he says that he has gotten excellent results.

The results are astonding. I have heard the stock. It is a good TT and dare I say it; A good value.

Setup with a good tonearm and cartridge; I think that A Lot of the other TT makers should be starting to Sweat. And I will say it again. I consider that I now have a Great Value compared to other TTs in this price range and above.

I need to go do some errands right now. Just going to let the system cook with a CD on repeat and try to finish my errands Quickly!!!
I have been looking at tonearm upgrades for my GAE I just bought, this would be the best move for this new table even though this table is so revealing compared to the Prime I had it is amazing how good it sounds with better cartridges just installed a Cadenza Bronze and you can hear the difference immediately. I have  G I am selling it anyone is interested PM me.
This is this is a thread with no resolution or answers, just personal opinion.  The original Technics direct drive turntables were designed with the audiophile in mind.  They were adopted by radio stations and DJs because of their reliability and sturdiness.  The new Technics direct drive turntables are superior to the older tables in just about every regard.  Whether they are better or worse than other turntables is up to the individual and how it sounds to them.  Personally I have a GAE with a Lyra Delos cartridge and this combination resulted in a significant improvement in sound quality in my system.

Now in 2018 both statements is right, no matter what you think about SL1200mkII or SL1210mkII or mk3D, mk4, mk5 or ltd.

1) Technics is a DJ turntable, becase for over 30 years it is a worldwide dj standard. This particular model will be in any technical rider and a must have for any night club or radiostation where professional djs are playing records.

2) Technics is not a DJ turntable, because it was invented as a Hi-Fi component for everyone.

The brand new SL1200GR, G or GAE is still an ultimate DJ turntable, but at the same time it is a true High-End turntable.

For DJ world it is extremely expensive, for audiophile world it is relatively cheap.

Audiophiles are more happy about this new product from Technics than DJs, but for the price of the old one any DJ will be happy to buy it and use it too. 

End of discussion
fastdart69;chakster,

Both are correct. 

The Audiophile community now has a brand new HighEnd TT at a Bargain / Value price. Many will be modding with a HighEnd tonearm and get the most out of the cartridge of their choice.

The SQ that I am getting from this rig is astounding. I consider that I got it at a bargain price and have superior value.  IMHO.

Best to All on this Journey 

Best to All on this Journey 

kahlenz....I got my 1210GR from Geoff as well....maybe we have met in the store?
Just wanted to chime in and add my 2cents. As an ex 70's/80’s DJ working full time in clubs at the time, I’ve had my hands on the 1200 MK2 for many years, everyday, 6 hours a day and more, which makes me quite sensitive to the looking down comments of the "local experts" here... Don’t bash this old lady that had many qualities, certainly not an approximative tone arm, out of control component noises and hunting and pecking speed control. Speed control and torque was another of its qualities, and was so good that it was not a problem to set and let go 2 1200 playing the same record together, both faders up, for the entire time of an extended 45 without a 100th of a second speed variation. That, added to the general built quality, reasonable price for a professionally usable gear made it the queen of TT to those who were really using them, the DJ’s. Nobody else knows them that deeply. Coming with numbers and unilateral judgements long after their time is just not doing it for me. Of course if you refer to a battered one, which suffered travelling on the back seat of a car or worse, worked for years in tobacco pot, suffering the nicotine infiltration everywhere, or abused or mistreated in any other way, yes you can find it somewhat substandard. Just a word on the weight of the platter, yes quite light, and for the better because again, added to the torque and the exact speed control, you could with a little nudge get back in the beat to carry on your mix successfully. And this was exactly what the DJ’s were after. More than enough torque, light platter, speed control, ergonomy of this S shaped tone arm, 0 to right speed in less than a quarter, stop to 0 in less than a quarter too, and tell me if I forgot something... None of the competition, I say None, full stop, was offering that, not mentioning the trust you could put in it as a pro, and for years and years to come. I know because I played daily on the others, Thorens, Lenco L75, even Dual1218 and Dynacord, + some I forgot. Let me tell you about fishing a belt fallen out inside the case, in the middle of your set on a Saturday evening lol!
The sound quality? In a club it is pretty hard to pretend having a great sound quality. Getting practical and reliable is the first thing. For the rest, speak to the equalizer...
Is it an Audiophile TT? Nah, and has never been, it was a mass production hi fi turntable that turned out to be adequate for a DJ work. I still love the looks (And to see that so many hifi manufacturers have copied it comforts me in my opinion). I also love to see it working, mine (a beautiful 1210) is not perfect though but with a bit of love will be great. It sounds as good as my CD’s with the "emotion" of the analogue on top, thanks to its Ortofon M2 Blue, and I consider that good enough for me, and my old ears.. :). I don’t think it can reach the Audiophile level mentioned by some, and it is not built like that anyway, but who cares about the snobbish, unrealistic comments of a bunch of pretentious auto convinced of their superiority? Peace!
I had the Pioneer PL-600 (c. 1980) which was a close cousin of the Technics 1200 series...quartz locked DD, about the same price, pitch control sacrificed perhaps in favor of an auto arm return/shut off feature.  Good enough turntable.  Lasted nearly 30 years and was outfitted, first with an ADC ZLM cart, later a Shure V15 Type 5.  I replaced it with a Music Hall MMF 5/Goldring 1012 combo when it gave up the ghost.  For my limited funds, the Music Hall was a vast improvement in SQ but I suppose this is subjective as is the case with a lot of things....Fender Strats Vs. Martin acoustic guitars, etc...