Why Isnt Techincs 1200 Considered Audiophile?

Technics is known for its rock solid build quality low wow flutter, low noise rock steady speed, great torque and powerful motor so why isnt it given the accolades as a musical turntable?
vinny55

Showing 3 responses by ghosthouse

glupson -
Appreciated your 1:48PM 5/4/18 comments (as well as those from Stevecham in response). I’ll contribute in the form of an acronym my own profound insight to the question of why the Technics 1200 isn’t considered audiophile: WGAS.

I sure don’t - and that’s not a shot at the OP...more a comment on the elusive enlightened state the right combination of gear produces (not to mention the appropriate monetary outlay) and which only certain self-annointed illuminati are allowed to enjoy.
Glupson - At the risk of further discussion undermining my WGAS stance on the topic, I think you put your finger on the problem by pointing out the general vagueness of the term "audiophile" in asking what’s the objective/3rd party standard that must be applied to determine qualifications? I’ll nitpick and comment further that an audiophile is a person, not a device so the OP’s real question is, "Why isn’t the Technics 1200 acceptable to audiophiles?" or words to that effect - but this comes right back to your point. Looking up audiophile I see Wikipedia and Merriam Webster define it as a "hi fi enthusiast". Take the word apart and the parts can mean lover of sound. Those definitions impose pretty low "barriers to entry". Heck, I was probably an audiophile at 11 but didn’t know it listening to music on the AM band of a cheap Japanese transistor radio. Years later listening to a KAB mod’d. SL1210 playing vinyl that’s over 40 years old the device is different but the enthusiasm is the same. Unfortunate part is how’d the term get to be so closely associated with a bunch of effete, supercilious (thank goodness for an on-line thesaurus :) semi-informed, know-it-alls?! But like I said before, WGAS. Time to put on Side 2 (though I’m probably listening to something digital tonight).
Hello again, glupson - 
Sorry for any confusion.  While I do get a kick out of listening to old vinyl, the table isn't all that old.  Purchased in this century  :-) (around 2007 as I recall) from KAB Electro Acoustics.  If you have a vintage Technics table you'd like to get "tuned up", consider talking to Kevin at KAB.  
Link here:

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/

Apologies if I'm telling you something you already know.